Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Always on display draining battery!

MattCOK
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi

I've updated my S7 edge to nougat but the AOD seems to be draining my battery literally a % per minute

Has anybody got any advice for this - its a shame as there a lot more notifications now I've updated to 7

Thank you in advance

16 REPLIES 16

63johnw
17: Community Champion

Hi, I did read a while ago that always on was supposed to drain at about 1% per hour, so 1% per minute is excessive.

Something we have always found on here is if you have problems following a firmware update ( more so with samsung than any other maunfacturer) a factory reset is recommended to see if that sorts out the issues.

Thanks 63johnw

I'll reset and see if that helps

Thanks

BandOfBrothers

Before a factory reset please try a system cache clear as this does not touch your user data. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

Good suggestions from John and Lee, but the question is why you have an always-on display?   Do you mean "while the display is on", that you've set it never to turn off (which would eat your battery anyway), or that it's become always-on since the update?   In the last case, a reset is probably the only cure.

63johnw

It was a feature of my S7 before the update which I had set for specific times, the update reset that to always on, I have reset mine back to the hours I want.

Basically @hrym it keeps the clock and notifications displaying on the lock screen, so when the main screen goes off and you would normally have a black screen, you can see your clock etc.

BandOfBrothers

Looks like this 

samsung-galaxy-s7-always-on-display-3.jpg

Mine periodically moves a few mm's around the screen to stop any screen burn. 

As a black pixel on an amoled screen is effectively turned Off it shouldn't use battery apart from the white pixels being used to show the information. There are different options to choose from which shows information in different formats. 

Current Phone  >

Yep that's it 

Without it on I use maybe 10% throughout the day and that's with waking the phone up via the homebutton to check email social media etc  

At the moment with it turned on I'm already down to 36%!

So I've either got it set up incorrectly or soething else is amiss (mines virtually the same as yours 

BandOfBrothers

What does your battery stats show ?

Current Phone  >

Nothing major that I can see.