Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

BRANDED UNBRANDED

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member
Apart from being able to put it different SIM cards what is difference between the two.
I know Vodafone start is embedded in there and cannot be removed as well but as I have never had a unbranded phone I don't know what the difference is
I can imagine it being a little faster at chewing data
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nabs
17: Community Champion

The ability to put different SIM cards is actually to do with whether the phone is locked or unlocked rather than the branding. A phone can be unlocked but still branded to one network.

When an Android phone is branded you may find network specific apps or features preinstalled which won't be installed on the unbranded version. You'll also find when updates are released the network that has branded the device needs to approve the update before it is pushed out to the phone. This can often lead to delays getting updates as networks have to test everything before approving it. Unbranded devices get updated straight from the manufacturer so there are no delays.

I hope that all makes sense @SKYMAN513?

View solution in original position

2 REPLIES 2

Nabs

The ability to put different SIM cards is actually to do with whether the phone is locked or unlocked rather than the branding. A phone can be unlocked but still branded to one network.

When an Android phone is branded you may find network specific apps or features preinstalled which won't be installed on the unbranded version. You'll also find when updates are released the network that has branded the device needs to approve the update before it is pushed out to the phone. This can often lead to delays getting updates as networks have to test everything before approving it. Unbranded devices get updated straight from the manufacturer so there are no delays.

I hope that all makes sense @SKYMAN513?

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member
Thanks Nabs yeah makes sense