Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Battery Saving Tips for Android {s7 and s7 edge }

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi,

When I purchase a phone one of the first things I look at is to see how best I can squeeze as much screen on time as possible. That said I also prefer not to throttle the phone too much by turning lots of features off. 

This piece is mostly in connection to the Samsung Galaxy s7 edge I'm using but I'm sure some can be used on other android phones. 

• I have my display to time out after 5 minutes but can be changed to further save juice. 
  • My screen resolution is set to FHD. More juice can be used if WQHD is chosen. Choosing HD will save more battery but you may notice the difference on the display resolution. 
  • I do not use Auto-Brightness. Mine is set to around 50%. 
  • The Nougat firmware is all about white colours so using a Dark Theme from the Samsung Theme Store and a Dark Icon pack can save battery. 
  • My email is set to fetch every 15 minutes. People set to push so the phone periodically checks for new email which can use more battery. 
  • I do not clear my suspended apps because although this clears up Ram the phone then has to re open the app and uses more battery. In my opinion unused Ram is wasted Ram. 
  • The phone has power saving mode options but can restrict the phones aesthetics.
  • Turn Off Always On Display which uses approx 1% battery per hour. 
  • Disable edge panel features i.e. Incoming call colour flashing. 
  • Check in the Battery Settings to see which app is using more battery. 
  • I now use the Samsung Stock Browser App as Google Chrome was using lots of battery by invoking the MediaServer. 
  • If your in a fringe 4G area then change the phones Network settings to choose 3G and 2G. 
  • A fringe signal area can cause more battery usage as the phone struggles to obtain and keep hold of signal. 
  • Smart stay in the phones settings which allows the phone to detect when your looking at the display and keep on. This will use more battery as the sensors are running in the background. 
  • I turn off the Led Indicator. 
  • Look at apps to see if you can set location guidelines. 
  • I leave Wifi and Bluetooth off until I need them. 
  • I turn off vibrate settings. 
  • I turn off Nearby device scanning. 
  • You can put most apps to sleep by long pressing the app icon on your home screens. 
  • The enhanced Doze feature I find works well. 
  • Do not let the battery go below approx 15% as this can cause issues with it. 
  • Turn off the Battery % indicator so your not continually looking at it and enjoy using your phone. :Winking_smiley:

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

5 REPLIES 5

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member

Thanks Lee some great extra tips there I was not aware,especially the little things like nearby device scanning,there was one next to it as well the Wi-Fi scanning (not normal wi-Fi)

I also found another one in Google maps settings 

In the location part were you get three extra options HI ACCURACY

BATTERY SAVING 

GPS SCANNING 

But when I chose just GPS

Google play service's (of which I think is one of the main culprits of them battery and especially data imo)comes along and changes my settings  (even when I restrict background data) every time I turn the settings to my preference but that one seems to be a losing battle, it seems to effect everything especially predictive typing,

which I am finding is one of my only major problems the moment compared to my s5 my s7 edge seems to struggle (does any one else experience this by the way)

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member

sorry Lee another question I am worried that if I long press on an app and put it to sleep can this not cause issues with the device.

I am using my experience with my s5, of which when I disabled apps it caused my phone problems that I think (imo) my s5 was never the same and actually had to go in for repair after just one months use.

hrym

Playing around with phones for many years, I've begun to wonder whether leaving Bluetooth on really uses that much battery (though I do in fact keep it off unles required as I don't use it much).   I'd have thought wifi would use more as it's a more powerful system.   LED indicator?  Does that really use much battery?   Especially versus the convenience of having a reminder that there's a notification if you missed the tone or have it on silent?

BandOfBrothers

Hi @SKYMAN513

No This will not harm anything but you may not get any notifications while it's asleep. 

@hrym

The Led does use a small % of battery. For a power user this % can be put to better use. :Smiling:

Regarding Bluetooth and Wi-Fi and the actual % the phone uses is up for discussion. Really not using them saves me some battery. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

Minuscule, surely?   Though, I agree that even small amounts can add up :smileyhappy: