Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Battery drain while phone is switched off

Lucinda123
4: Newbie

I have a Samsung Galaxy A3. After the last batch of software updates, it has started to lose battery power while switched off. Last time I charged it fully, so it was showing 100% battery, I switched it on and it dropped straight down to 91%. Once the phone is on, the power drops more or less at the rate I would expect it to, but I don't leave it on all the time. Even so, I'm having to charge it daily now. I went into my local Vodafone store for advice but other than removing a few apps that I don't use very often, they really didn't have a clue and just said the next batch of software updates might sort it, which isn't very helpful.

I would be grateful for any advice as to how I can stop this power drain happening.

19 REPLIES 19

hrym
17: Community Champion

In the first instance, try a factory reset, if you haven't already.  Samsung devices seem to need this more than any other.  Make sure your contacts and calendar are fully sync'd first, and also back up your content.  Also remove the external sd card if you have one as the process often formats them.   It also helps to make a note of your homescreen layouts (screenshot, and back this up too) so that you can recreate them easily.

The process will return your phone to its out of the box state (but with the new OS) and you can restore the stuff that Google backs up when you loge back in again.   A reset would be part of any repair process, so you won't lose anything by giving it a go.

BandOfBrothers

Hi @Lucinda123

What do the battery stats show in your phones settings ?

When a person charges to 100% the charger then changes to trickle mode as not to cause any harm to the phones battery. Is it possible that the battery wasn't at 100% when you powered it down. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks very much for this. After reading other forums you have confirmed my suspicions - it looks like I will have to try a factory reset in the first instance. This is a daunting prospect as I am very non-techy and have no idea how to go about it! Is there somewhere I can go online for step-by-step instructions please? I know how to reinstall apps but I don't want to lose all my contacts, text conversations or photos.

hrym

A factory reset is always a pain, and certainly a terrifying prospect the first time you do it.  I'm fairly techy and felt that way too!

As long s your contacts are sync'd with Google, you won't lost them.   Log in on a PC and check that you can see them.   You could also go into Contacts on the phone and, from the menu, choose Import/Export (it may come under Manage Contacts).  If it offers to encrypt, say no.   The process will produce a vCard file in the root folder of the device or sd card.   Copy this to a PC or cloud storage (eg Google Drive).   If everything goes pear-shaped, this is your backup.   In fact, I normally recommend this as something to do periodically, just as insurance.

SMS can be backed up by an app called SMSbackup+, which will store them on your Google account.

The easiest way to back up photos etc is to connect the phone by cable to a PC.  When it asks how you want it to handle the device, choose the "browse files" option.  You can then use the PC file manager to access the phone as a external drive and simply copy the relevant folders.

You can also sync photos to Dropbox or Google Drive - in fact, you should anyway so that you have a backup in case you lose your phone or it simply breaks down.  Dropbox will store at full resolution, Google has two options - hi-res, which doesn't count against your allowance, but is slightly compressed, or full-res, which does count.

To restore photos, take one and find it by the PC connection method, then copy the old one back to the same location.

If you choose "restore" when you log back into Google, your apps will restore and your phone should also have all your wifi passwords.  You may have to set any app options you've changed manually, though.

The reset process itself is pretty simple, though I would plug the phone in while you're doing it as there's no way of monitoring battery state.  In the main settings menu, go into Backup & Restore and look for the Reset option, which may be under Personal Data.   What takes care and time is the preparation.  There are online guides, but they tend to tell you about booting to recovery mode as well, which you don't need (certainly at this stage) and may make the job seem more complicated than it is.   In the past, people have spoke highly of Carphone Warehouse's Geek Squad.  I don't know whether they'd do this for nothing if you're not a customer, but they might advise.   Make it clear what you want backed up, though.

Thankyou so much for all the information, I really appreciate your help. I will have a go this evening!

I have one other quick question: when I charge the battery I often leave it on charge overnight, is that OK or is it likely to affect the life of the battery? Is it better to take it off charge as soon as it reaches 100%?

hrym

Opinions vary.  The system should recognise a fully charged battery and drop back to a trickle so that it's effectively just providing enough power to keep the system going.

Some people think this can, over time, result in overcharging.  I've also seen it said that the last 1% of charge (to 100%) results in wear & tear that shortens the overall battery life.  Maybe not leaving the device on all night every night would be the best plan.

You can test the drop-back by feeling the charger.  While it's going full tilt, it should be (very) slightly warm.  After it's dropped back, it should be cold or cooler, indicating reduced activity.

It's also a very good plan to try not to let the battery drop below 20% (and never below 10%).

Hello @Lucinda123

How did you get on after performing a factory reset?

Louise

Hi and sorry for the delay in replying. I have only had time to get back to this in the last couple of days!

I've got some of the backup in place - SMS and photos appear to be OK though I had a bit of trouble working out how to synch to Dropbox initially. The big problem is contacts. I have checked my Google account but cannot see my contacts in there. I went into Contacts on the phone and tried to link them to Google - which seemed to be the option "Move device contacts to" on the menu, but I got a message "No phone account contacts to merge with Google account". I am totally mystified. They are all saved to my device so why can't it find them? I really don't want to have to re-enter them all so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi again - weirdly the contacts have just appeared in my google account! I was obviously too impatient! You can tell I'm a novice at all this...

Another question though - is there a way to back up apps, or do they have to be reinstalled manually?