cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Bixby Dedicated Button on s8 / s8+ Remapping and Fingerprint scanner placement.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hey Guys. 

After playing around with the working demo models of the Samsung Galaxy s8 and s8+ on several occasions  I like others tried using this dedicated Bixby button (even though it's not officially activated yet) just to see what would happen. 

Thinking about it I must say I'm not overly impressed that Samsung have pushed such a dedicated button on these new flagships. I can see accidental pushing of this button !

We'll probably see it on the Note 8 too. 

After reading posts / blogs elsewhere it seemed the button could be Re Mapped so it could launch something alternatively- Yay.  :Smiling:

Sadly this new information has surfaced > androidpolice > Samsung-blocked-remapping-bixby-button-galaxy-s8. - Boo.

On balance I'm sure lots of people will like this addition of the button. 

While I'm on a rant  :Winking_smiley:

The placement of the fingerprint sensor on the back next to the camera is just awkward and feels like a last minute thought possibly due to Samsung nit being able to sort out it being in conjunction with the new style homebutton, both on both the s8 variants.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

2 REPLIES 2

CHarpe
4: Newbie

According to some articles, some phones can still be remapped depending on carrier. If Samsung have pushed it out to Vodafone phones, that would be a shame as I was hoping to remap mine.

I feel the Bixby button is a bit of a waste of materials and the fact they couldn't ship with it being in it's full functions is dissapointing but shows what they hope to accomplish.

Hopefully we can remap for a bit. If not, I'll still be using Google Assistant. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BandOfBrothers wrote:

Hey Guys. 

After playing around with the working demo models of the Samsung Galaxy s8 and s8+ on several occasions  I like others tried using this dedicated Bixby button (even though it's not officially activated yet) just to see what would happen. 

Thinking about it I must say I'm not overly impressed that Samsung have pushed such a dedicated button on these new flagships. I can see accidental pushing of this button !

We'll probably see it on the Note 8 too. 

After reading posts / blogs elsewhere it seemed the button could be Re Mapped so it could launch something alternatively- Yay.  :Smiling:

Sadly this new information has surfaced > androidpolice > Samsung-blocked-remapping-bixby-button-galaxy-s8. - Boo.

On balance I'm sure lots of people will like this addition of the button. 

While I'm on a rant  :Winking_smiley:

The placement of the fingerprint sensor on the back next to the camera is just awkward and feels like a last minute thought possibly due to Samsung nit being able to sort out it being in conjunction with the new style homebutton, both on both the s8 variants.

I'm constantly catching or knocking the button, it's really annoying.