Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Blagged by Google play service's

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member

Hi 

I hope I am wrong on this one but it is unlikely. I am absolutely furious.

Yesterday I set up secure folder, and set it up with one particular app that could do with a bit more security.

Today whilst putting my location settings back to how I have them, as GOOGLE PLAY SERVICE'S keeps changing them😤

A pop up appeared saying I haven't set up an account.

And as I have a black theme it changed to white, 

Now the only time my device changes to white is in secure folder and apps in secure folder have a tiny number 1 at the bottom right hand corner.

So know when I look at data usage or location GOOGLE PLAY SERVICE'S shows up twice and this has only just happened as soon as I had finished I was inside secure folder without even thinking about it let alone activating it

I can not see any point in this other than GOOGLE PLAY SERVICE'S has access to my secure folder that is turning out to NOT SO SECURE FOLDER 

How can these big companies keep blagging consumers 

Constantly changing my device location settings and get away with it 

I don't have any thing to hide but that is not the point 

And if you go into the app settings and try and limit it's access you get warmed

IF YOU DON'T LET GOOGLE PLAY SERVICE'S HAVE FULL CONTROL AND ACCESS TO YOUR DEVICE IT WILL SELF DESTRUCT.

ok slight exaggeration but it does say your device will not function as intended.

I understand some of it maybe for  security reasons 

But don't tell me some thing is secure when it's not

GOOGLE PLAY SERVICE'S

eats your battery 

Constantly changes your location settings to see EXACTLY were you are (the GPS settings or battery saving is not good enough for them)

And chomps through an average of just over a gigabyte of data  each and every month.

And that is my mobile data not Wi-Fi 

So to add another punch I actually get charged for something that may have some benefits in the back ground.

But then knowing how they operate I'm sure if it was really doing me favours I'm sure they wouldn't let it go unnoticed.

rant over 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nabs
17: Community Champion

I assume the Secure Folder you mentioned is a Samsung feature? If so it might be worth getting in touch with them to let them know that their security technology isn't as secure as they let customers believe.

I can't comment on the ever-changing location permissions as I always have mine enabled, it's needed for my family to track where I am thought Google+.

Regarding the Play Services battery and data usage;

They do seem to chew through battery. On my phone it's the highest user on 4%, System and OS are behind on 3% each. It's consistently in the top 3 for battery usage at the end of the day.

In terms of data usage, last month mine used just over 100MB, month before that was a little under 400MB.

It's used a lot more on my phone this month as I updated a bunch of apps over mobile data at the weekend, my fault for not making sure the Wifi was connected before hitting the update button though. 

View solution in original position

8 REPLIES 8

Nabs

I assume the Secure Folder you mentioned is a Samsung feature? If so it might be worth getting in touch with them to let them know that their security technology isn't as secure as they let customers believe.

I can't comment on the ever-changing location permissions as I always have mine enabled, it's needed for my family to track where I am thought Google+.

Regarding the Play Services battery and data usage;

They do seem to chew through battery. On my phone it's the highest user on 4%, System and OS are behind on 3% each. It's consistently in the top 3 for battery usage at the end of the day.

In terms of data usage, last month mine used just over 100MB, month before that was a little under 400MB.

It's used a lot more on my phone this month as I updated a bunch of apps over mobile data at the weekend, my fault for not making sure the Wifi was connected before hitting the update button though. 

SKYMAN513

Hi thanks for reply yes I have s7 edge

I have just spent at least an hour changing all my passwords.

And resetting the ones I couldn't remember 

And all my saved data in Google has gone including bookmarks.passwords the lot.

I've took some screen shots which I'll attach at bottom.

The funny thing is as I have just set this up the Google browser is not in secure folder so it must of been to access to it.

I've just tried restoring and all that did was chomp data 

And then a couple of minutes ago a big pop up appeared on my screen about a software update so I dismissed it and went through settings and there is not one there already up to date.

I'm sure something is not right here.

is there any way other than device maintenance I can guarantee my device is not compromised.

I have the Google verify apps on and search device.(I'm sure that's what wanted access to secure folder imo)

I have an s7 edge

SKYMAN513

Regarding the screen shots studio was the name I have secure folder and them little ones in the bottom right hand corner only show up in secure folder.

As good as these devices are my s7 edge as a lot of minor issues.

But risking it being sent for repair as I have already done it's not been the same since.

My parcels seem to be able to jump six feet in the air all on there own.

(Just for clarity I mean once they leave the store and end up in a transit van)

And for them to recreate my problems would be difficult and would take a lot of time using the device.

I can imagine it coming back with no faults detected

SKYMAN513

Yes I have just been in battery usage in the settings and there are two lots of Google play service's and if I press on the one with the little number 1 it takes me straight to the secure folder sign in page.

this is not on 

Not only do they have access to secure folder it's now starting to show up as battery usage.

can some one from Vodafone please take a look at this as calling something secure folder which is supposed to be government approved 

I did not grant access to this folder

I was checking if my gear fit 2 had been tracking properly and it asked me to sign in and then I was in secure folder without putting the pin or finger print scanner

And then when I checked the Google verify apps and scan device it was the exact same time 

How can i revoke this without getting threatened that my device won't work

Can some one put my mind at rest to make sure I've not been security compromised please

What makes this worse is that I am security conscious and that was a 100% blag or I would of noticed 

I don't follow links I don't even follow notification links for peace of mind 

I honestly feel like some one has come in my house emptied my pockets and walked out furious is not the word 

Nabs

@SKYMAN513 I think you might need to direct your anger towards SamsungKnox on this one. They are the ones who have created the secure folder app that you're using so only they will be able to assist with its functionality. If there is a compatibility problem there with the Android operating system they will need to be the ones who rectify it. You can submit a support request to them using this link

Vodafone doesn't have the ability to change any Samsung applications, therefore, won't be able to assist in resolving this particular issue.

SKYMAN513

Hi buddy 

To be honest I wasn't directing it any one nor Vodafone as it is obviously out of there remit

I was just venting at not being able to get any help from Samsung and just venting in general so apologies if it came across that way.and it's not exactly the best way to help or advice.

Any way after 45 minutes waiting and an hour and a half on  live chat I finally got a remote connection booking.

To be honest I have got more help from Vodafone than Samsung regarding problems they should of dealt with

So just to be clear I might of had steam coming out of my ears but I wouldn't of been directing  it at any one at the time

The info I have learnt on here I couldn't of got any were else 

It took Samsung 3 weeks from an escalated problem to tell me to factory reset my phone

Nabs

No worries @SKYMAN513, no apology needed, I figured you knew most of that already but always worth mentioning in case someone else is following the thread 😉

All the issues you've come across (and there have been a fair few) are really things that should be easily resolved if you manage to speak to the right person, the difficult bit is getting to the right person, it's never straightforward and understandably invokes much frustration along the way. I'm sure we've all been there for some reason or another 😉

It's very disappointing to hear about Samsungs poor service, they used to be pretty good, standards have obviously slipped in recent years. 3 weeks is far far too long to be waiting just to be told to do a factory reset, that would really p**s me off!

It's great to hear you've found the Vodafone forum useful, after being a member for as long as I have it's good to know we are still a helpful resource for people 😄

SKYMAN513

You guys don't get the credit you deserve.

From a lot of users of the forum.

A lot of people come on here for maybe one or two issues then you guys help out.

And most never have to come back.

(I feel like a bad smell at the minute😉)

I'm sure a lot of them don't realise you guys and ladies do it of your own free will and are not part of the Vodafone team.