Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Broken LG G5

nerdoboo
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

In early december I purchased a 24 month vodaphone contract with a LG G5 Gold refurbished handset through a website called the smartphone company. I have had the handset for 4 months and last week it came up with a power supply notification, after reading up online about this I found a lot of articles that suggested that simply removing and replacing the battery should solve this, but once removing the battery and replacing it I found the phone would no longer charge and the handset will no longer power on. 

Long story short, I contacted the smartphone company about this issue and they told me I had to contact LG direct, so I did, they explained that since the handset is a refurbished one and not carried out by themselves it is the retailers responibilty to have the phone repaired. I then passed this information back onto the smartphone company and after several emails and phone calls they still claim it is not their problem even though it states on their website they offer a 12 month warranty on refurbished handsets which I have pointed out to them on many occasions. 

As you can imagine I'm at my wits end here both LG and the smartphone company will not take any action into getting my phone fixed. Since then I have been doing a bit of research and came across on which.co.uk that if you have an issue with a phone on a contract you need to contact your service provided and they are the ones who should help you resolve it, but as the phone contract and handset was provided through the smartphone company I assumed this would be the first point of call for any problems.

This is my last hope that somebody can help me, who is responsible for my phone being repaired is it yourselves, the smartphone company or LG?? I haven't been able to use my phone for a week now and I'm literally getting nowhere with this company so i'm hoping you can help me because if not I shall have to report to citzen advice and get them to advise me on what to do next. 

Thank you,

Becky.

2 REPLIES 2

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hello @nerdoboo

I can appreciate the inconvenience caused when a phone fails for whatever reason as we all seem to have our life's on them nowadays !

In regards to Warranty. 

It is the seller / provider of the handset that a person must approach for support. 

Vodafone has only supplied the Sim Card and Network Connection.

So if Lg will not assist it's the company you bought it from. 

Other options if relavant are Home Insurance Contents Cover or some Bank Accounts offer mobile phone cover as a perk of the Account. Excess fee's and T&C would need to be checked. 

Further info in > which ~ consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

"Your rights under the Consumer Rights Act are against the retailer – the company that sold you the product – not the manufacturer, so you must take any claim to the retailer. "

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @nerdoboo

You need to go back to the point of sale, the phone come from Smartphone refurbished stock and they were responsible for selling the phone.  All Vodafone will be responsible for will be supplying the airtime on behalf of Smartphone.

As you have mentioned, they offer a 12 month warranty on refurbished handsets, it is their warranty obligation and they are obliged to honour it and repair or replace the phone.