Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Cannot connect Smart Ultra 6 to PC

purbeckfossil
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

So, I have tried connecting my phone via USB to my desktop & PC (both running Windows 10) and cannot see the phone folders or the micro SD folders in File Manager. I have upgraded phone to the latest version. I have checked Settings/Storage/USB Computer connection and it is set to MTP. I have checked USB tethering and the setting is "USB not connected". Do I need to install any USB Drivers to make this work?

16 REPLIES 16

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Is it possible any firewalls or security suites are hindering it. 

Is your phone unlocked when hooked up to your computer. 

I hook up my samsung s7 edge to my MBA via the Android File Transfer software. Link > Android File Transfer.

I'm on Marshmallow. 

I did originally have have an issue because I had Kies downloaded that wasn't compatible to work with my phone and Mac. I had to endure that was 100% deleted first. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Tried the Android File transfer but it says device cannot be detected. I also have set phone to developer status and USB Debugging = ON, but don't get the message to allow debugging. Have also changed USB cable just in case rogue

Yes that's the same message I was getting. 

I googled and found that in my particular situation I had kies downloaded which conflicted with AFT.

After uninstalling Kies and re booting my MBA it worked fine. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for the input. I remember having Kies on a samsung galaxy but don't think it's applicable to a Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 - can't see it on the Apps list.

Still wondering if Windows 10 needs a driver?

Can't really help you on this but my SU6 connects to laptop/pc ok.

Maybe try a factory reset.

Don't really want to do factory reset as I only bought this a month ago. Vodafone CHAT said to install a USB driver, then couldn't give me a link, then suggested Google Playstore!!!!!!!!

hrym

I'm not convinced a factory reset would resolve this.   There have been a few threads on the forum in the past, but I can't remember what the outcome was.   I believe you do need a driver on the pc, yes.

One thing you could try, if nothing else works, is a 3rd party file manager such as File Manager from Cheetah Mobile or ES File Manager.  Both of these can access a shared pc drive over wifi (add a network drive under Tools in the Cheetah one) and you can control transfers from the phone end.   Note that 3rd party apps can't write to an sd card, so you need to use the system one to move files from internal storage to the card, which is a bit of a pain.

I think we can close this now. I have always been of the opinion that a USB cable is generic. Having just retrieved from my travel bag the original Vodafone lead, File Manager immediately snapped into life. Thanks to all that posted, and maybe it will help others in the future.

So, what's different with Vodafone apart from their unique customer service for a FTSE company!?

hrym

Was that one a data and charge cable and the others only charge cables, possibly?   All USB cables should be the same, but for some reason they aren't.

Glad to hear it's working, anyway.