cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Does Vodafone still install custom firmware on new Sony Android phones?

toma
4: Newbie

Hi,

Anyone know: does Vodafone still install custom firmware on new Sony Android phones?

I wasn't a fan of this on my existing phone, as it guarantees security updates will take longer to get to the handset if Vodafone has to process them first.

Thanks,

Tom

3 REPLIES 3

hrym
17: Community Champion

As far as I'm aware, all the networks have their own versions of the firmware.   This is partly to ensure compatibility with their system, but also to provide various network-related apps.

If you don't want a branded device, you'll need to buy one SIM-free.   The advantage of that is that you'll get updates as soon as the manufacturer releases them, not after they've been through the network's approval process.  The downside is that you may not have access to some facilities, eg wifi calling.

toma
4: Newbie
Thanks for the quick and informative reply!

I wonder which networks do / don't adapt the manufacturer firmware - surely the virtual network operators can't justify that cost?

jeffkinn

No the MVNO's and dealers sell unbranded phones.

But the same caveats apply about no Wi Fi calling etc that are network specific.

Also it isn't necessarily true that unbranded phones get updates earlier than network branded phones. When I had Samsung phones the unbranded handsets were the last ones to receive OS updates.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png