Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Dropbox Installed itself in secure folder

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member

Hi 

I had Dropbox on my previous device so I was curious to see if all my original documents and pictures were still there and use it as an additional data dump 

It was all still there but then today I had to get something out of my secure folder only to find Dropbox as installed itself in there as well

I thought I had control of what apps go in secure folder and I have 100% not granted it permission nor have I attempted to put it in secure folder 

I did attempt to uninstall it from secure folder but it says all data will be lost 

My fear is I have some irreplaceable pictures in Dropbox outside of secure folder 

So if I uninstall the one in secure folder will I lose the one out side secure folder.

I have not opened Dropbox inside secure folder in case that starts transferring data from the other one 

Sorry for the tongue twisting

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @SKYMAN513

Something must have occurred or been given some sort of permission. 

I use Dropbox extensively and have secure folder and it hasn't installed itself in there. 

In essence Dropbox is a vault online so unless you access Dropbox itself and manually delete things wirhin it nothing should be lost. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

No I'm very carefull about what apps I install and the first thing I do is check the permissions and then if it looks ok I'll install and then check the permission via the 3 dots at top left were you get the full list of permissions

That's one reason I only. Have 5 apps in total that I have installed myself 

As most of the free ones seem to be data mining or full of ads or require you to purchase in the apps 

That's why I stated in my first post I didn't grant it any permissions other than the acceptable ones it says Dropbox needs and nowhere does it say secure folder and also I don't think Samsung would let them do it

Any way I just squeezed my cheeks and uninstalled and it only deleted the one in secure folder although I didn't have the bottle to open it just in case that activated something 

hrym

It almost sounds like something that may have been pre-installed, though why it would be in the secure folder, I wouldn't know.

AnnS

Hi @SKYMAN513

If you ask this question on the Dropbox Community, you should be able to get better advise and support for your question.

Please see the link below for the Dropbox Cache Folder, it may answer your question.  There is also a link at the top for the Dropbox Community.

The Dropbox cache folder

hrym

As far as I can see, that link refers to the desktop app, so may not reflect how the mobile one works.

I know about the Samsung secure folder, but I'm not familar with it.   The way to see what's installed on your phone is to go into Settings|Apps.  I'd be very surprised if there's more than one instance, and I'm wondering whether what's in the Secure folder are installation files that maybe came with the device?   You may be able to delete them, but a better plan would be to create a subfolder and move them there.   If Dropbox still works, and continues working for a few months, then I'd say permanent deletion is safe.