Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Failed update on Smart Ultra 7

mibby
3: Seeker

Hi all,

I have a Vodafone Smart Ultra 7 which is failing to install update 6.0-130FCN1.

The local shop was no help at all, they could offer no suggestions other than they could "send it away" but I would lose all my data!

Online tech support are now suggesting a factory reset, but I am a bit paranoid about this - I have lots of apps, settings, contacts etc and would be a bit lost if they all disappeared.

Any ideas?

25 REPLIES 25

mibby

Bit the bullet and did the factory reset.  Result:  lots of apps and data missing and the update still doesn't install.  Vodaphone now advising I get a new phone.

Great. :smileysad:

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
A new phone ?

Apart from this update not wanting to play nice with your phone I assume all is working as it should.

Did you perform any firm if back up that included the Apps?

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

The backup on the phone said it was going to back up and restore all the apps and their settings - as did the support guy - but in the event it didn't.

Android developers really need to sort this, it's been a problem for every version so far.

Luckily I managed to back up the diabetes data to a file and export it, so I should get that back.  The rest is less important.  Knowing Vodafone I'll be without a phone for a while, good job I have a work one as well!

BandOfBrothers

Are you opting to send it off under the 24 month manufacturer warranty?

Glad you managed to retain your diabetes information. 

Current Phone  >

Yes, it's only 8 months old so a warranty job.

BandOfBrothers

Ok

My advice is to take time and date stamped pictures and one of it turned on prior to sending it away and ask the rep to note its condition. 

Also make sure when sending your device for repair that you keep hold of your SIM. You also shouldn't send your memory cards, battery and/or back cover (if they're removable) - if these are included with your phone when it goes for repair we can't guarantee their return."

Current Phone  >

Thanks for that!  The battery is fixed, but I'll whip out the SIM and SD card.

86ajenkins
1: Seeker

I'm having the same problem on the same phone.

I have had the same issue with a Smart Ultra 7 and was doing a backup before closing down as many background apps as possible (email, etc) to release memory and try again and when I went back to "Software Updates" and did "Check for updates", as I had done previously and it downloaded 6.0-130FCN1, it now says "Your software is up to date" and lists 6.0-060FCN2 at the top of the screen.

Maybe the update has been (temporarily) pulled?

Will check again later.

hrym

What gets backed up on Android does sometimes seem to be a bit random.   Google will back up your contacts, calendar, etc and most of the device settings, but rarely that of individual apps.

I've recently had to reset a device and a lot of (unimportant) data got lost.   If you store photos and other content you control on an sd card, it's easy to move from one device to another and you can protect it during the reset by removing the card.  Some apps make their files quite difficult to find - it varies between folders in the general user area and deeper within the Android folder.   Some things (like BBC iPlayer downloads) I've never been able to find.   If you can locate the folder for (say) the diabetes app, you can copy it elsewhere and then simply restore it after the reset.  TBH, this is something that's so important the developer really ought to have a cloud backup option built in, imho.

When I did my reset, I told Google to restore my apps but, even so, not all of them came back!