Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

GOOGLE PLAY SERVICES

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member

I am having a constant battle with the PLAY SERVICE  (NOT GOOGLE PLAY STORE)

Changing settings on my phone,

The main one is the location method as I use a gear fit 2,

so I keep changing the location method to gps only or battery saving as the high accuracy one eats my battery( like it warns you it does.)But it kept changing my settings without notifying me.

So I went into the settings in play service app and you can uncheck the change system settings 

By default it it switched to on so I turned it off and it has not changed since 

Will doing this cause problems with my phone?(s7 edge)

I have no idea what this app(if you could call it that)does apart from eat shed loads of mobile data in the background and over a month it averages about 1 gig of data in the background.now if I could find an explanation why this happens I would bite my lip and accept it but I can not find any thing

But when I try to deactivate it says YOUR DEVICE WILL NO LONGER FUNCTION AS INTENDED so straight away you are terrorised to make sure you don't turn it off

so all in all it eats 1 gig of my allowance each month and can turn any thing on my phone off and on without me knowing about it.can any one explain why it users so much background data and because it is background data and no explanation is it fair that we should lose 1 gig a month of our own personal allowance to an app for which I don't see any benefit from or am I totally missing something. For those who have 24 gig a month  and use Wi-Fi at home.it won't be a problem for them but for those of us who don't have Wi-Fi and are totally reliant on relatively small  data allowances I don't think it should come from our allowance after all it's Google who want to know everything about me and the contents of my phone 

Sorry about the rant but this is one thing that makes my blood boil surely i am not the  only one who has the data munching problem with GOOGLE PLAY SERVICE'S

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @SKYMAN513

Here are some posts from other places I've looked at when trying to understand my own usage stats. 

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/676723-why-google-services-using-so-much-battery-data....

There are quite a few more similar threads via a Google Search too. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

11 REPLIES 11

BandOfBrothers

Hi @SKYMAN513

Here are some posts from other places I've looked at when trying to understand my own usage stats. 

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/676723-why-google-services-using-so-much-battery-data....

There are quite a few more similar threads via a Google Search too. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

As always thanks for your time,and them links are all saying similar things to what I've been searching.

I only have 1 app now PITCH LAB guitar tuner 

And before I upgraded to the pro version my phone was still chewing data

So I tried restricting background data which doesn't stop it,it might slow it down but your phone doesn't function the same it even affects predictive typing believe it or not the only one I haven't got right into is Google maps,

but I have downloaded offline areas 

So I will have to admit defeat on this one

But I still disagree that it comes out of our allowance especially those who only have 500mb or a gig of data 

One last thing

a guy in a computer shop near me, I asked him for a bit of advice and what he said was quite surprising 

He said the more gmail accounts you have the more data and battery usage you will see and in is opinion if you have more than the necessary accounts the more it will use your battery and data because if it's not checking one account it's checking another one

and I must admit I have 5 gmail accounts on my device so I am going to give it ago at having one normal one and one for back up 

I can't explain it as good as he did but the way he explained it to me it made sense

in a matter of hours downloading offline areas on Google maps and reducing my gmail accounts has made a difference in  a matter of hours

So it's either because I had too many gmail accounts or cause I hadn't downloaded any offline areas one of them was causing the problem or maybe both of them together  were causing the excessive data usage.

I'll keep monitoring them just to make sure but it's definitely making a difference

hrym

I've periodically seen Google services use larger than normal amounts of data (Account Manager, you know who you are :smileymad:), but it's not excessive.   Generally speaking, you can often restore sense to Google apps by clearing their cache and data (it doesn't seem to lose anything or log you out), but I'm not sure if you can do it with services.  Might be worth digging around in Settings|Apps, though.

SKYMAN513

Yes that is one of the culprits 

Google account manager

Google service's frame work and

Google back up manager.

They are the only three it shows but there is obviously more because it it says related apps in usage 

But removing the email accounts off my phone that I don't use (3) and downloading offline areas on Google maps as made a massive difference. 

Since the 16 of this month I have used 236mb and last month I had at least twice that and I've used my phone more this month Because I've had more spare time.and the above mentioned are the only changes I've made.

SKYMAN513

I forgotten your advice sorry I did also go  into application manager pressed any thing Google then in the pressed storage and cleared some data and I think all cache.

BUT you have to be careful on one or two of them because clearing the data on them you can wipe of your accounts.

But it did warn me which ones by saying (are you sure as this will wipe all data and accounts on device )

I had already tried it with my  s5 so you have to carefull, but it definitely makes a difference.

I have also found restarting my 7 edge once a week.don't know the details of that yet still getting my head around all this but  must say I know a lot more about mobiles now than did before I came on about 2 months ago.

hrym

The Clear Data option in the app manager will indeed delete all the data associated with that app.   In the case of Google ones, the global login seems to keep you connected, but with others, you'll need to log in again and anything stored locally (ie settings, mainly) will be lost.

jeffkinn

A smart phone is a computer and, like all computeres, they need to be restarted from time to time to keep them running properly.

There's also a good argument for going through a factory reset every now and again to give you a fresh installation of the OS.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

SKYMAN513

Hi jeffkinn 

Thanks for that a factory reset is my next only option before going  for repair but what my concerns are 

1 some one has posted on the forum of which I can not find now that it voids your warranty using the method on your device not any other way from messing with your software as that is understandable (I believe if you haven't got a clue about all that you can brick your phone and I'm in the haven't got a clue department 

2.I payed for a couple of apps and themes and one of them I had on my old device but when I had to reinstall it after an update it wouldn't reinstall purchase so would that be the same as well (losing payed for items)