Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Getting really annoyed with my S5!

rainmac80
2: Seeker

Hi all,

Having a couple of problems with my S5, may well be user error but need help/advice urgently before I throw it out the window!!

Soooo.... First thing is that I'm taking pictures on my s5 in proper way, in landscape with volume buttons at top and in portrait view with 'samsung' name at top but when I connect my phone via data cable to my laptop the pictures all appear in landscape view and will not rotate unless I open each individual file in a photo editing programme and save change to each one i.e. the pictures will NOT rotate at all in Windows Picture & Fax Viewer or in Windows Explorer! This is massively frustrating!!  I never had this problem with my old iPhone and I've checked with iPhone pictures since and they still work, only the samsung ones have this problem!!! :Sad_face:  Have attached a screenshot to show what I mean!

Image2.jpg

Then... I bought a micro sd card (Lexar 64GB UHS), which works well with phone but I just tried to get pictures off card using card reader to see if made a difference to being able to rotate etc and when I click on the drive Windows Explorer tells me that the card needs formatting, so as I'd already transferred the pictures I agreed to the format and then it fails!!! So won't open the card at all!!

Is this all a problem with the phone or is my laptop the issue?  I'm using Windows XP.  

Don't know if anyone is going to be able to help but I'm hopeful as I'm going insane!!!

15 REPLIES 15

Northern-dj
16: Advanced member

This is strange as i have just taken two pics with mine ine different ways and there fine

This could be a driver issues

Have you installed Kies 3 ?

The reason is the S5 and others Run on the MLP protacol

also try a factoet wipe

somthing is strange here

are you using the factory camera app

rainmac80
Sorry what's kies 3 and u mean a factory wipe?
I'm using the Samsung basic installed camera app yeah
Than's for the reply :Smiling:

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

KIes 3 is Samsung software. If you haven't installed Kies on your PC it won't have the correct USB drivers to be able to access the SD card if you use a USB cable to plug into the computer.

You can alsos use Kies Air or Air Droid - they connect the S5 and the PC together if they are on the same wireless network. That will let you access files on the card while it's still in the phone. If you put the card into a drive on the PC it won't recognise it as it's in the wrong format for a PC.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Ah ok, I'll try that - my husband's worked fine though and he got his S5 only a couple of weeks before me.  He has a faster/better laptop than me though so maybe that's the problem lol 

Tried it, pics still won't rotate :Sad_face: Dunno what's going on :Sad_face: 

jeffkinn

What programme on the PC sre you using to try and edit the photos?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

hrym

Can you try someting slightly different?  Instead of Windows Fax & Photo Viewer, try Windows Photo Viewer.  Click on the file and then on "Preview" which appears in the menu bar and drop down to that program.   It's a less complicated program and might just work.  You could also try opening the image in Paint and see if you can edit it in any way at all.

I must admit I'm a bit confused by the question of drivers.  I assume you're getting these images onto the pc itself and not viewing them on the phone connected as mass storage or otherwise?  A jpeg should be a jpeg, so it's almost as though there's a property that's locking the image in some way.  You don't have the phone display locked not to auto-rotate do you?  That shouldn't affect it, but you never know...

hrym

I've just opened a jpeg email attachment (in Windows photo viewer) and I can't rotate it in place.   I have to download it onto my computer, then I can.

Northern-dj

I must be missing somthing here

i just tried that and mine are fine

all tho i'm on windows 8

this is deff a strange one

If non of the above works then Samsung need to look at this