cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Google Assistant > Anyone received this new feature yet ?

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Source : Pocket-Lint. 

Link : What-is-google-assistant-how-does-it-work-and-which-devices-offer-it

Google Assistant.

After trying out various assistants such as Cortana and Siri I found they could sometimes be a little hit and miss and I mostly used them for initiating a call, dictating a text and sending it or setting an alarm or creating a Reminder or Calendar entry. 

Looking forward to trying this one. 

Do you use these assistants for similar reasons ?

Do they come in handy in the car for hands free usage reasons ?

IMG_0947.JPG

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

47 REPLIES 47

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member
HI about Google assistant. I have tried holding the home button for a few seconds and all I get is Google now and not the assistant and can't find it in Google settings (s7 edge user) I thought it was only available on the pixel and the siri one for Microsoft

BandOfBrothers

Hi @SKYMAN513

It's an update being sent out to your phone.

Long holding the home button can instigate an update to the new assistant. It's a matter of keep checking that way. 

I think the issue I have is that my Google App is disabled along with Ok Google. I'm not a big fan of Big Brother Google knowing more than they need to about me. 

Current Phone  >

hrym

I've effectively disabled Google Now as well, and for the same reasons.   You need to have web and app activity turned on for it towork, and I assume the same would apply to Google Assistant.

BandOfBrothers

As it lives in Google then yes I think so. 

For me I'm uneasy with the amount of permissions it wants. 

It's something at the moment I can do without. 

Current Phone  >

Stevie1
14: Advanced member
Hi All,

Personally l don't think there's going to be much difference between Google Now and Assistance from what I have seen on assistant you can do the same things via Google now. You can send texts access your emails photos all via voice commands through Google now as well as countless other things and l really can't see what all the hype is about.

:robotmad:

Stevie1
Do you no that Google assistant is actually intergraded into Google Allo so if you want to see what it's like go to the play store and download Google Allo it needs alot of permissions like access to your texts, camera, phone, contact's, photos and a few more

Nabs

@Stevie1 I did give that a try when it first launched but uninstalled it fairly quickly as i couldn't be bothered with the separate app. haha

Stevie1
If any of you want Google Assistant on your phone today then try this method it works just tried it on mine.

1) go to settings add language US make this your default language.

2) go to playstore and uninstall the google app after uninstall is complete tap update exit playstore.

3) press and hold home screen button you now have google Assistant then just following instructions to setup once done you will have the full version of google assistant.

4) not sure if this will still work if you change your language back to UK after installing google assistant because I haven't tried it yet still playing around with it but it looks and works fine.

Stevie1
Just for info if you change your language back to English UK you will lose google assistant and it will revert back to google now change mine last night and this morning it had gone back to google now. Just follow the steps above to reinstall google assistant.

BandOfBrothers

Update. 

Google Assistant updated onto my phone this afternoon. 

Very responsive.

New Update. 

Looks to be a Google App update and not Google Assistant.  :smileyembarrassed:

Current Phone  >