cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC M8 No Data Connection following Number Port to New SIM (SOLVED)

motorleague
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have bought an HTC One M8 from a friend to replace my current M7. It is originally a Three phone, but is unlocked.

I had the number ported across to a new SIM in my local Voda shop because the new phone needs a nano SIM, and phone and voice/txt came over immediately, but the data connection remains stubbornly unavailable.

I have spoken to Vodafone support several times. I’ve tried the usual soft reset, network resets. It would appear that the Vodafone network has failed to send through the Access Point settings by text despite several attempts (Automatically following the swap, and by texting WEB to 40127).

I have attempted to configure the AP manually using the settings for Contract phones (listed below), but it fails to connect. After adding the settings and enabling the AP, if I revisit the menu afterwards the blue button has turned grey again.

Name: Contract WAP

APN: wap.vodafone.co.uk

Proxy: Not set

Port: Not set

Username: wap

Password: wap

Server: Not set

MMSC: Not set

MMS proxy: Not set

MMS Port: Not set

MCC: 234

MNC: 15

Authentication type: None

APN type: default (also tried *)

APN protocol: IPv4 (unchangeable)

Enable/disable APN: APN enabled

Bearer: Unspecified

Having put the SIM back in the old phone the data connection is available, which makes me suspect a problem with the device itself, but there’s a number of possibilities (with varying degrees of guesswork a fault with the phone, partial unlock issue, a config issue or a problem with the number port to the new SIM).

Wifi connectivity is fine, to confirm.

Can anybody suggest what area the issue is likely to lie, and the best next course of action?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Figured it out after a bit more playing around, it looks like the Bearer needed to be set to "LTE" as opposed to "Unspecified", as documented... everywhere, pretty much.

Thanks for the replies, eveybody, appreciated.

A.

View solution in original position

9 REPLIES 9

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

Can you try another sim in the phone just to try out your theory that it's the phobe at fault. 

The apn I look at are from Geeksquad paying particular attention to the payg and contract specific options. 

the home screen:

Tap the Menu button

Tap Settings

Tap Wireless and networks or More... (depending on your version of Android)

Tap Mobile Networks

Tap Access point names

Tap the Menu button

Tap New APN

Enter the following data into the onscreen form, without changing any other settings;

Name - Vodafone Internet

APN - internet (PAYG - pp.vodafone.co.uk)

Username - web (PAYG - wap)

Password - web (PAYG - wap)

MMSC - http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms

MMS Proxy - 212.183.137.12

MMS Port - 8799

Authentication type - PAP

APN type - If given a choice, select internet+mms, if the keyboard appears enter *

(As a check, the image below shows blue text in the fields you should have completed)

Tap the Menu button

Tap Save

Enable the newly-added APN by ensuring the line is ticked, or the radio button is lit by tapping on it

Check the notification bar for 4G, H, 3G, E or G with up and down arrows beside it, which will indicate your connection is working

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

That may do the trick, but this sounds like a split port and may need to be escalated to the appropriate team.  Ask for this, but if customer services aren't helpful, post back here and a member of the forum team will contact you to pursue the matter.

BandOfBrothers

Hi @hrym

I thought also a Split Port but the Op says their sim works as it should in another phone in regards to Data. 

Current Phone  >

hrym

Thanks, @BandOfBrothers, you're right.  I missed that bit.   It's an odd one, to be sure.

BandOfBrothers

Most definitely a conundrum !

Current Phone  >

Figured it out after a bit more playing around, it looks like the Bearer needed to be set to "LTE" as opposed to "Unspecified", as documented... everywhere, pretty much.

Thanks for the replies, eveybody, appreciated.

A.

hrym

Glad you're sorted.   TBH, I'm surprised that wasn't a default setting within the settings pulled down automatically.

Part of the issue was that Vodafone weren't sending me down any default settings, even after requesting them manually by text,

A.

hrym

Ah.  That's very odd.   FWIW, when I'm setting up a new device, I use the "get settings from provider" option in the Data settings menu.   APNs normally arrive silently so, although the process implies you'll see something, you usually don't.   It's possible that issue was down to the porting process, I suppose - I thought this might be a split port originally, and it could have been that the data part of the process completed after the calls etc parts.   Also, if you remove and re-insert a SIM, you often get sent settings even on a device that already has them.