Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC One M8 mobile network mode fault

elchabon
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I've recently received a replacement phone from vodafone.  Issue is that if I set network mode to "2G/3G auto" the data works fine, but I cannot always make calls and received calls often do not have audio, or go to voicemail.  If I select "2G", the calls work fine, but I don't get data.

9 REPLIES 9

hrym
17: Community Champion

When you say you don't get data, do you mean that there's nothing at all or that the connection's so slow that apps time out before they can update?

This does rather sound like a network issue rather than a phone one, so it might be worth checking the status checker for your area.

You could also make sure you have the correct APNs installed.   In Settings|Mobile Data, is there an option to pull them down?  if so, use that.  If not, text WEB to 40127.

If you still have no joy, the next step would be a factory reset (back up your content first).

Hi hrym.

Issue happens all over the place (SE England), so presume it's not a network issue.

texted WEB and got the configuration. 

The APN setting is: CONTRACT WAP wap.vodafone.co.uk

Network Mode is 2G/3G auto.

Will this mean the telephone aspect will work?

waiting to see if this corrects....

hrym

The APNs only refer to data, but there was a chance that, if we sorted that out, we'd sort the lot out.

If it's still not working, I think the next thing would be a factory reset (as I said, don't forget to back up your content).   If that fails, you're going to have to go for another repair, but I hope that won't be necessary.  It might be worth droppnig into a Vodafone shop anyway, to see if they have any ideas - but try the reset first.

seem to have the same problem still with the voice not working.  Are you aware of any ways of saving down all you applications before resetting?

Hi elchabon,

Thanks for posting and to hrym for that fantastic advice.

I've checked this and your phone will have a HTC back up icon.

Click on this and it will guide you through how to set it up as you want.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks.

Ian

hrym

That's a good point by Ian_C.  I have an HTC and had forgotten that.  Google backs up the basic settings, but the HTC app claims to cover all your app settings.  You'll need to back up your other content (music, photos etc) separately, I rather think.  I don't know whether HTC includes SMS and call logs.  If these are important, SMSbackup+ is generally recommended.

Hi,

I tried the full reset last night and spent some time "rebuilding" the phone, after some of the backup didn't work.

However still with the same problem, in that calls are getting diverted to voicemail and the phone not working unless it's set on "2G network mode".  Seems like the network mode selector just doesn't change automatically.

Any othere ideas?

hrym

I have a horrible feeling I can see a repair looming.   As this is such an odd one, it might be worth going straight to HTC. Vodafone are a generic repairer and will probably just reset and reflash the firmware, especially if there are no obvious electrical faults.

Tink-GB
12: Established
12: Established
Hi,

pre-warning... the. info below is available online by searching for HTC Hidden Android Menus and suchlike. Changing some settings may stop your phone from working, so i will not be liable for any bad results if different things happen if following this post... use the internet search to read up on the menus before following the below... i will not be held responsible if you upset your phone...

Try running the hidden system menu ... dial
*#*#3424#*#*

This opens the phones test app..
After running what you like, then go into the Info hidden menu to check you radio carrier settings... dial
*#*#4636#*#*

the preferred network should be set to GSM/WCDMA/LTE Auto...

Get to this by dialing the number and once open you can go into phone info....
First run a ping test.. (whilst you are in a signal area)
Then scroll down and you will see the preferred network type with a drop down.

Changing this will mean the phone has ro re-register with the network...

Worked for me when i had this problem previously on the htc sensation.

Tink.