Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC One M9 camera glass cracked

Shallowthing
4: Newbie
I've had my HTC One M9 about a year now, and I'm mostly very happy with it. However, yesterday I noticed that the glass covering the main camera has developed a crack. (No, I haven't dropped it, whacked it, squashed it or done anything else untoward with it. It lives in a solid UAG case, and I carry it around inside in a microfibre bag for even more protection.) A quick Google indicates that spontaneous cracking of the camera glass is a known issue with these phones. Is this something that can be fixed - and it's a very simple repair - through Vodafone, or am I on my own with this one?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

63johnw
17: Community Champion
Hi, as soon as physical damage appears Vodafone will not repair under warranty as they are excluded by the manufacturer. Your best bet would be to approach HTC directly and if it is a known issue they should sort it for you.

Vodafone are limited as to what they can repair.

View solution in original position

9 REPLIES 9

63johnw
Hi, as soon as physical damage appears Vodafone will not repair under warranty as they are excluded by the manufacturer. Your best bet would be to approach HTC directly and if it is a known issue they should sort it for you.

Vodafone are limited as to what they can repair.

63johnw

Shallowthing

Okay, thank you for your advice. Not the answer I had hoped for, but at least I know! I shall try the manufacturer instead.

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@Shallowthing wrote:

Okay, thank you for your advice. Not the answer I had hoped for, but at least I know! I shall try the manufacturer instead.

HTC tend to be quite good with their repairs, so you should be in good hands. 

PWIAC

Shallowthing

I've emailed them, but I'm yet to receive an acknowledgement, let alone a response.

Shallowthing
Still no answer from HTC. Does anyone know a good way to get a response out of them?

You can also look for phone repair shops. The kind that unlock phones too. Some of them replace screens and camera glass. My local did a very good job on a Samsung S5's camera.

If you go for manufacturer's repair, they will often want the full camera module repaired, which will be a whole lot more for a non-warenty repair.

hrym

Do bear in mind that an unofficial repair may invalidate your warranty.  If that's near its end, it may be an acceptable risk, though.

hrym

The first thing to check is whether the crack affects the image quality at all.   Anything that close to the lens may have little effect.   I once completely shattered the filter on a SLR and only noticed when I looked at it from the front.  Despite being a complete mess, it wasn't distorting the veiwfinder image (amazingly).  And, yes, if there hadn't been a filter there, it would have been the front lens element that would have suffered.