Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC One Sending strange texts

Kippaxman
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My HTC One has starting sending texts to 33819253539035 at random intervals. I first noticed it on my statements in February, and it has since sent 7 more.

I am being charged 25p for each of these texts (none of which I have sent) despite having unlimited texts on my plan

Can anyone help?

Thanks

35 REPLIES 35

Hi jabeleckebusch,

When you install applications through Google Play, you'll see some permissions pop up before you begin the download.

Having looked at each of the applications you've installed, curiously, both antivirus apps require permission to send text messages. I'd suggest that this is where the messages are being sent from.

Thanks,

Matt B

Yes, this keeps occuring for the last few months. I asked them to place a block but they said they cannot and cannotl look into it.

Jebelious
16: Advanced member
When did you get the new phone and when did the charges appear on the bill?

If i have helped please feel free to click on the Thumbs Up below

janeleckebusch
4: Newbie
I got the new phone on April 15th and the texts were sent on May 7th and 9th. I have been trying to remember which Appswent on later. Wondering if Expedia might be to blame.Don't think I installed it straightaway, but more to the point, the phone I had stolen was a Christmas present but the first problem texts on that were not till Feb 20. which may be round about there I installed Expedia app after booking a holiday. Into really sure of the timings but think I should probably uninstall Expedia App. What do you think? Also very curious now if others on this thread have Expedia App..

Thanks! :Laughing_Face:

janeleckebusch
Drat....forget that last post.....I have just checked date I booked holiday and it was shortly AFTER the first dubious text was sent, so presumably Expedia is not to blame......
Maybe it is the One cast App or Map my run?? Think they went on later both times.....

Jebelious
Does anything show up on your outbound SMS

If i have helped please feel free to click on the Thumbs Up below

You mean my list of sent texts?  No, absolutely nothing....but from vodafone's point of view, they can see the date and number and it looks just like I texted someone  :Sad_face:

Grief, you are going to think I am sooo stupid.....but I have just looked at my texts again and there IS something for those dates, just 5 lines of random code.......both 'messages' different from each other.....
I could type it in here if you want......maybe I have been hacked by terrorists or something!!
(When texts were sent on my old, stolen phone, I looked then, and couldn't see any sent texts at the days/times on the bill). BUT, this is my first (second) smart phone, so a bit of a learning curve.....

janeleckebusch
I think there are quite a few of us with this problem. Totally stuck and really fed up about this :Sad_face:

janeleckebusch
I wonder if it is just Vodafone or if other networks are affected? I really thought getting a new phone and Sim might sort it :Sad_face:
Hope some of the clever guys on this thread can help.......