Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Headphone socket and tethering problem after Marshmallow Update - Smart Ultra 6

Lenniehamilton
3: Seeker

I have noticed on other forums alot of users having the same problems as I am after the recent android update.

Headphone socket works fine with headphones but not with an aux cable.

Wi-fi tethering turns itself off every few minutes

As a truck driver, in order to conserve the battery on the phone I Tether my tablet and connect my phone to the truck stereo through an aux cable to listen to my books and music.

Is anyone able to assist?

Thanks

26 REPLIES 26

hrym
17: Community Champion

When you connect the cable, do you see a list of options for how it works?   If not, is there a USB symbol at the top left of the screen (on the notification bar)?  If there is, tap that and the list should drop down.   I have an HTC phone and that's what I get.   Another device that's still on Lollipop doesn't get the options and just connects, so I suspect the change came with MM.

You'll need to experiment with which connection method to use, but I suspect it may be "head unit", if you get that.   I use a Bluetooth connection, so always restrict the USB connection to charging.

Lenniehamilton
No the USB is fine its the headphone socket that's the problem. Recognises only a headset with a mic, not headphone or an aux cable. Happened to a few of them apparently.

@Lenniehamilton

This is a strange one.

Have you tested a different aux cable? This would rule out any faults with the cable itself. 

If that doesn't help, I'd recommend sending the phone off for repair. Our Repair team will then be able to look into this.

Lenniehamilton
Yes I initially thought it was the cable so bought a new one. No joy. Both cables work in my tablet fine. My over ear headphones don't work in the phone but my in ear headphones with inline mic do. All was fine before the update. I bought my phone outright last January or February think it may be out of warranty.

@Lenniehamilton

All phones bought from Vodafone come with a 24 month warranty from the date of purchase. 

Our Repairs team will be happy to look into this. 

Apparently this issue isn't relative only to the Smart Ultra 6, when Sony and HTC tolled out Marshmallow to their flagship phones they had the same issues. 

On the plus side I managed to get rid of the tethering problem by doing a factory reset. 

Some Sony users have got around the problem with the headphones by using an app called soundabout(?) which forces the phone to route sound to a specific output point but you then have tochange it when you disconnect the headset again, rather than it switching automatically.

Users on other phones just bought a headset extension thing which fooled the phone into thinking it had a mic, then plugging their headphones into the extension.

hrym

If it's affecting several makes, it sounds deliberate and possibly part of the core Android system.   I wonder whether it's for security?

The problem with mines, as I found out today, is that when you do plug in a normal headset with inline mic the screen starts going nuts.  Going to try another factory reset, though from the recovery menu rather than the settings menu.

Really getting annoyed now as it was fine when I went to bed on Tuesday and left the upgrade running overnight, and now it doesn't, all my business calls get transferred to my phone when I am out so I can't afford to not have my phone.

I am going to check my sons one as his hasn't updated yet I don't think and see if it all works after his has been updated.

hrym

Very odd.   I don't suppose you have any option of using USB or Bluetooth instead?