cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How do I select the option to use the volume key as a shutter release on a Sony Xperia E5?

Marrea
4: Newbie

I’ve just bought a Sony Xperia E5 on PAYG (upgrading from my previous Vodafone Smart 4 Mini) and wish to use the volume key as a shutter release.  Predictably there is no user guide provided with the phone but

http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/xperiae5/userguide/general-camera-settings/

says:

You can choose how you want to use the volume key when taking photos.

Zoom - Use the volume key to zoom in or out

Volume - Use the volume key to adjust the volume

Shutter - Use the volume key to take photos

When I go to Apps > Camera, I can’t find anything about choosing how I want to use the volume key when taking photos.  Can anyone enlighten me as to the steps I need to follow to find these options?  Or do I have to download an app to enable me to do this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

63johnw
17: Community Champion

Have you tried scrolling to see if the screen moves down, my mate has a Sony ( not your model mind ) and if he scrolls down its definitely there on his.

View solution in original position

8 REPLIES 8

BandOfBrothers

I see you've posted on a dedicated Sony forum too @Marrea

I hope you find your answers here or there. 

If this was me I'd use Twitter or some form of Contact Us on the Sony Homepage to enquire. 

A Google Search isn't bringing much up is it ! :Sad_face:

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

BandOfBrothers

Many thanks.  Yes, indeed, I posted on the Sony Xperia E5 forum, thinking that would be the best place to start but although there have been 11 views so far there have been no replies.  Maybe no other E5 owners want to use the volume key as a shutter release!

63johnw

Hi @Marrea try opening your camera as if to take a photo. Open the settings (small cog) touch more, then scroll down and you should see a setting for use volume as.

63johnw

Many thanks for the suggestion.  When I go to Settings > More

the only two options listed are “Object tracking”, which can be switched on or off, and “Metering”, which has four options - Face, Multi, Centre, Spot.  Nothing unfortunately about “Use volume as”.

63johnw

Have you tried scrolling to see if the screen moves down, my mate has a Sony ( not your model mind ) and if he scrolls down its definitely there on his.

63johnw

Yeah, his has object tracking but if you touch the screen and move your finger it should scroll.

You’re a star !!

I found it quite difficult to start with to make the screen scroll down as you instructed.  I had actually been trying to do that before I posted but with no joy. I obviously did not have the right technique with my finger (never been terribly good with touch screens!) but I have now persevered and lo and behold there are all sorts of other options listed below the two which are initially visible on the screen (the aforementioned “Object tracking” and “Metering”).  The one I was looking for “Use Volume key as” is indeed there.  It was set on Zoom as the default.  I have changed it to Shutter and checked that it does actually take a photo, which it does.  So all is well.

Thank you so much for helping me out.  I can only apologise for my incompetence. :smileyembarrassed:

63johnw

No worries, if you dont know something you dont know it, any more problems feel free to ask.