Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

LG G4 Boot Loop

soutermon
2: Seeker

I'm getting the dreaded boot loop issue on my LG G4 with S/N beginning 509.  As I understand it, this is a motherboard issue, and will require some fixing, but when I spoke online to Vodafone Customer Services using the online chat function, I was informed I should just take it to my local Vodafone shop where they will fix it there and then for me.  Can anyone confirm if this is the case?  I'm very doubtful having read a few forum threads about the issue.

I'm currently offshore for work, and won't be back for 18 days, and once back I will be travelling to Norway for a week where I'd ideally like to use my phone.  If it needs to be sent away, I'm guessing there will be no chance of this happening.

I've also read about a possible temporary fix involving downloading the LG Bridge tool and .tot files. Is this recommended?

Cheers :Smiling:

58 REPLIES 58

hrym
17: Community Champion

As I previously pointed out, all 3rd party repairers are limited by all the manufacturers in what they can do.

It's also worth reiterating that any device sent for repair will be factory reset.  It's part of the process and ensures that the issue isn't software-related.   In this case, you may find that you have a completely new phone, or at least motherboard.  Check the current IMEI.   If it's different, get it updated on the Vodafone system in case you need a repair in future or it's lost and needs to be blocked or you want to make an insurance claim.

DavidBonn

I have a bootloop issue with an LG G4 phone bought at a Vodafone store less than a year ago. I paid £100 upfront for the phone and signed up for a new 24-month contract (increased charge) to pay for the remainder of the phone's cost. Last week the phone died on me. Now Vodafone wants to charge me £144 to repair the phone due to a crack on the camera's lens. The bootloop however, has absolutely nothing to do with the hardware; it's an internal problem. It is a factory default issue and Vodafone is responsible for selling products with default from their very conception. The phone has a 2-year warranty so Vodafone should be held responsible and cover for the repair. It was already known that LG G4 phones had a software/internal bug acknowledged to affect all regional models and carrier-branded LG G4 units. So basically I paid and am paying every month for a faulty product that Vodafone sold me and is not taking responsibilities for. I feel I was made a fool of. I feel I was tricked. Is this how they treat their customers? Selling faulty products is a breech to consumer rights. I have been a Vodafone customer for 8+ years and learn they are totally unresponsive. I want Vodafone to take responsibility and value me as a customer.

Contact LG directly.  That's what I did, and they sent me out a brand new LG G5 as a replacement.  If you read the thread, everybody who has the bootloop problem is having issues with Vodafone and getting it repaired.

hrym

All of the manufacturers restrict what 3rd party repairers are allowed to do.  Specifically, they won't reimburse if there's evidence of damage, so the 3rd party has to refuse warranty work.  Go direct to LG.  They're likely to take a pragmatic view and, if the fault is unrelated to any damage, do the work without charge.  They may also replace rather then repair, which would get you a new camera lens into the bargain. :smileywink:

I have a bootloop issue with an LG G4 phone bought at a Vodafone store less than a year ago. I paid £100 upfront for the phone and signed up for a new 24-month contract (increased charge) to pay for the remainder of the phone's cost. Last week the phone died on me.

Now Vodafone wants to charge me £144 to repair the phone due to a crack on the camera's lens. The bootloop however, has absolutely nothing to do with the hardware; it's an internal problem. It is a factory default issue and Vodafone is responsible for selling products with default from their very conception.

The phone has a 2-year warranty so Vodafone should be held responsible and cover for the repair. It was already known that LG G4 phones had a software/internal bug acknowledged to affect all regional models and carrier-branded LG G4 units. So basically I paid and am paying every month for a faulty product that Vodafone sold me and is not taking responsibilities for. I feel I was made a fool of. I feel I was tricked. Is this how they treat their customers? Selling faulty products is a breech to consumer rights. I have been a Vodafone customer for 8+ years and learn they are totally unresponsive. I want Vodafone to take responsibility and value me as a customer.

Attached description of my complaint.

AnnS

Hi @DavidBonn

The problem you will be having is with Vodafone being a third party repairer, they will have very strict guidelines which they have to keep to and this includes warranty repairs to a device where there are signs of other damage.

This is the reason to take the phone direct to the manufacturer, they will have a lot more discretion when it comes to a warranty repair and will do a repair where a third party has been unable to proceed without making a charge.

LG are aware of the problem and will make all the arrangements for the  repair and get the phone returned to you a lot quicker than any Vodafone Repair Centre.

You can find how to contact LG on the link below.

LG Mobile Repairs

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@cjacobi Please try sending us your email again. It may be worth trying a few of the following steps first: 

• Clear your cache and cookies and check your spam/junk folder. 
  • Send the email again from a different email address and/or web browser.
  • Manually type your email address into the box when prompted, (rather than copy and paste). 
  • Ensure your email is under 2500 characters long. 

Please let us know if this helps you to receive your reference number. 

@DavidBonn As advised, physical damage can void the warranty for our repairs. Please check with the manufacturer directly, to see if anything more can be offered.

stieoerq

I find a post which related to your issue, you can check and to find if there are the tips to help you.

How to Fix LG G4 Wont Turn on?