Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

LG G4 Boot Loop

soutermon
2: Seeker

I'm getting the dreaded boot loop issue on my LG G4 with S/N beginning 509.  As I understand it, this is a motherboard issue, and will require some fixing, but when I spoke online to Vodafone Customer Services using the online chat function, I was informed I should just take it to my local Vodafone shop where they will fix it there and then for me.  Can anyone confirm if this is the case?  I'm very doubtful having read a few forum threads about the issue.

I'm currently offshore for work, and won't be back for 18 days, and once back I will be travelling to Norway for a week where I'd ideally like to use my phone.  If it needs to be sent away, I'm guessing there will be no chance of this happening.

I've also read about a possible temporary fix involving downloading the LG Bridge tool and .tot files. Is this recommended?

Cheers :Smiling:

58 REPLIES 58

hrym
17: Community Champion

If there's any evidence of damage (and it can be as little as a small mark and however caused), Vodafone, along with all third party repairers, aren't allowed by any of the manufacturers to carry out warranty work.

Get the phone back and contact LG direct.   Don't mention that Vodafone have seen the phone or refused a repair, let them draw their own conclusions.   Manufacturers will generalyl take a pragmatic view and, if the damage clearly isn't related to the fault, will do the repair under warranty.

Had phone under 1 year and started experiencing the reboot problem. Phone would freeze on LG android screen and then turn off and start up

again. Only way to get out of this loop was to take battery out of the back.

After researching this online I took it in store for what I thought to be a straightforward repair. However the Vodafone repair centre said they had found corrosion on the power socket which cancelled phones warranty and deemed it unrepairable. I of course did not accept this as the problem as I could not see any damage and they failed to show me adequate proof. Also Vodafone customers be aware, if you need a genuine repair caused by anything other than moisture and they find what may be corrosion it will cancel out any other damage that may be fixable.

They were very unhelpful and basically told me to buy a new phone. I asked if they could send phone to LG direct but Vodafone will not send to a '3rd party'. Also they will not let me have the phone back unless I sign agreement that I am happy they have identified the problem!! So they now have my phone and I have no way of having LG look at it. Absolutely unhelpful staff and terrible customer support. Currently seeking advice from LG and consumer rights. Will never use Vodafone again. 

drey_p
16: Advanced member

The thing is, any form of water damage voids your warranty. Vodafone, as a third party repair agent, have very strict guidelines they have to adhere to including not being able to perform a warranty repair on a device that shows any form of water damage or ingress.

That is why it is often better to take the device directly to the manufacturer, they have a lot more discretion when it comes to this sort of thing and will often do a repair under warranty where a third party repairer would be unable to proceed.

PWIAC

I ended up contacting LG directly.  The sent me a jiffy bag so I could send them the phone for repair.  A week or 2 later, I find out they are going to replace it with a brand new LG G5.  Sorted!

drey_p

Good news soutermon - LG are pretty good which is why we often recommend them.

PWIAC

Any advice on having Vodafone return my phone without signing to say I agree they have identified the problem? Again they showed no proof of water damage and I assured them I am very careful with my phone. Was very surprised this was what they had diagnosed issue with. 

drey_p

The phrase water damage is quite broad and doesn't mean that you've left the phone soaking in water. It usually means that one or more of the internal moisture detection strips has been triggered. It is quite easy to do : use it in the rain, have it in your trousers when you're hot and sweaty, take it from a cold to a warm humid environment etc can result in the strips being triggered.

I don't believe that they will release it unless you sign. You can ask but I think the answer will be no.

PWIAC

hrym

I've never heard of that being requested.  Normally (as far as I'm aware), they just return the phone as it was sent in to them.

The main thing (as you can see from other posts on this thread) is to get the phone back and send it to LG.

BandOfBrothers
A good outcome and post over customer service from the manufacturer.

:Smiling:

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

jeh1989

Just got my phone back from Vodafone. They said they cannot repair the handset because it's out of warranty. They said there was a mark on the handset which has voided warranty. Its just general wear and tear and has no link with the boot loop issue. My experience with Vodafone has been terrible and will cancel my four devices when the agreements come to an end. The staff member instore said she couldnt believe that they didnt repair or replace it. It was sent to good condition, immaculate screen and it is a well known issue. Even LG have released a statement saying its a common issue and will replace. Will call LG and get them to replace the device. Also had to buy a phone to use as a replacement as the advisor instore said they had no courtesy phones left (even though i am entitled to one). Really gone downhill have Vodafone.