Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Lock Screen

galaxygirl
4: Newbie

I have just installed the latest update for my GS4 and the screen now locks when I turn it off using the power key. I have looked in settings, lock screen, and checked the lock screen automatically with power key is not enabled. Help!

27 REPLIES 27

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi galaxygirl,

When you use the power key to turn the screen off, does it show a black screen?

If so, try the following:

• Go to Settings
  • Tap ‘Lock screen’
  • Tap ‘Lock screen widgets’
  • Tap ‘clock or personal message’
  • Tap ‘Clock’

If this doesn’t work, try a factory reset of the phone.

You can see how to do this here, and don’t forget to back up any important data first.

Thanks,

Andy

galaxygirl
Yes there is a black screen after pressing the power key. Tried your suggestions re lock screen widget. No joy. Will do reset later. So annoying! Thanks.

63johnw
17: Community Champion
Did you carry out a factory reset after installing the update? Always a good idea as it cleans the slate as it were and gets rid of any remnants of the old firmware.

galaxygirl
No haven't tried it yet. Not sure what to do and scared of losing contacts etc.

63johnw

Well all your contacts should be backed up to your google account that is associated with your phone.

Just to be sure go to settings, accounts, google and then press on the email address at the top of the screen, then ensure Sync Contacts is ticked, if it is your contacts are backed up and will automatically come back when you log in when setting the phone up.

Back up any photos etc that are not on the external SD card, you may need to download a sms backup app if you want to save your text messages.

Once you are backed up go to settings, accounts, back up and reset then factory data reset.

Your phone will be reset to the as new state (it will keep the updates) and then you can start setting it back up.

hrym

For a belt and braces approach, open the menu in Contacts and select Import/Export.  If you have an sd card, export to that, then share the file with Google Drive and/or Dropbox (you'll need a file manager app to do this).  You can then download the file from there onto a pc.   I'm paranoid about my contacts and have about half a dozen backups!

For extra security, take your sd card out (eject it first) before you reset.   It should be OK, but the reset process has been know to treat photos as system storage and wipe them, especially if you have the camera set to save to sd.

galaxygirl
Thank you hrym and 63johnw. I am going to try this over the weekend when I have more time. I'm sure it's easy enough it's just technology and I don’t have a very amicable relationship😐😐😐

hrym

The process isn't as scary as it initially looks.  One other thing you may want to do is make a note of your homescreen layouts so that you can quickly re-recreate them. 

Nooooooooo I can't believe it! I have done the whole factory reset thing and still when I press the power key the screen is still locking. I don't understand why?????