Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Lock Screen

galaxygirl
4: Newbie

I have just installed the latest update for my GS4 and the screen now locks when I turn it off using the power key. I have looked in settings, lock screen, and checked the lock screen automatically with power key is not enabled. Help!

27 REPLIES 27

63johnw
17: Community Champion

Tried what you have explained on my S3 and unticked the "lock instantly with power key" but it still locked mine, as does yours.

I removed the tick then I then went into Menu > System Settings > My Device Tab > Lock Screen > Screen Lock > and select the last option “None”

Came out to my main screen and then went back into my lock screen settings and reset my PIN for screen access and the power to lock no longer locks.

galaxygirl
4: Newbie
Just done that. Nope. Power key still locking the screen. 😦😦😦

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi galaxygirl,

Please take your phone to your local Vodafone store so we can take a look.

Thanks,

Gemma

Hi Gemma

I have taken the phone in to a vodafone store and they have said there is nothing wrong with the phone. I am about to self combust. Any other suggestions?

hrym

It might be worth talking to Samsung (Support tab on their UK website) to see whether this is a feature or a fault.  They'll have more experience and may be able to suggest something you haven't tried yet, or organise a repair it that's what it needs.

Hi hrym. Did that today. Choosing a piece of tarmac and banging my head against it would have had the same effect. I was told that was how it should be.  I have spoken with my friend today who has the exact same phone and he has confirmed that when he presses the power key, the screen goes black and when he presses it again, the screen wakes up without asking for a pin or password. So there is quite clearly something wrong with my phone.

63johnw

Hi again galaxygirl, sorry its still not sorted, can i just confirm that when you press the power button the screen goes black and then when you press it again the screen wakes up but then asks for your PIN or whatever method you have chosen to unlock?

When I press the power button on my S3 the screen goes black, pressing again wakes the phone up without the need for PIN etc. is this what you are trying to achieve?

Hi 63johnw. Yes you have got it exactly right. And my friend who has the same phone as me does not have this problem. I do not understand why neither Vodafone nor Samsung are acknowledging this but I suppose it depends who you talk to.

hrym

It sounds as though this might be an isolated issue.  If you're near a branch of Carphone Warehouse, you could drop in and ask their Geek Squad to have a look at it.   AFAIK, they're authorised Samsung repairers, so may be able to sort it for you.

63johnw

Can you try just this part of what i said above.

Menu > System Settings > My Device Tab > Lock Screen > Screen Lock > and select the last option “None”

Go back to your main screen and press the power button to get the black screen then press the power button again and can you tell us what happens.