Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Low internal storage message

JChapman
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My phone keeps showing low internal storage messages and nothing is updating or synching. Any apps not already on the phone have been transferred to the SD card and I've cleared caches and deleted stuff I don't need.

The storage settings show that I am only using 2.4 GB out of 4.14 GB. What am I doing wrong?

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi,

A similar thread 

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Android/Message-on-phone/m-p/2538487/highlight/true#M133155

Which make and model of Android are you using may I ask ?

From the Google searches I've performed in the past advice such as,

Rebooting the phone by turning it Off , remove battery if applicable wait a few minutes, replace battery And turn back On helps. 

Clearing the System Caches which does not delete personal information. 

Clear app caches. 

In the extreme create a back and Factory Reset. 

Do as you have already mentioned ie move what you can to Sd Card. You could try ejecting the Sd card and reinsert it. 

If still at issue then id suggest to liaise with the manufacturer via their online chat or phone number. 

If sourced from vodafone then a Highstreet Store employee could take a look and send it off to be looked at. 

Take Time & Date stamped pictures of the phone to show its aesthetic condition prior to letting it go and ask the staff member to note its condition too.

"Also make sure when sending your device for repair that you keep hold of your SIM. You also shouldn't send your memory cards, battery and/or back cover (if they're removable) - if these are included with your phone when it goes for repair we can't guarantee their return."

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

It's a Vodafone Turbo Smart 7

Tried most of the things you mention (but thanks anyway) Low storage message persists. I've only just got the phone back after a different problem so reluctnt to lose it again.

The only apps I've downloaded are on the SD card so what's left is what Vodafone installed and I can't see anything else I can remove. In any cae there IS plenty of room according to the figures (apparently I'm using 2.4 GB of 4.14GB. Doesn't make any sense

BandOfBrothers

You're welcome and I agree. 

It could be some type of glitch between the apps on the Sd card and what your phone is recognising. 

I'm not saying you do this but if it was my situation I'd remove the Sd card and back up what's on my phones memory and first clear the phones system caches if it'll let you ,and or factory reset with the Sd card left out. 

A factory reset will take it back to its last firmware update. 

Then go from there with downloading the apps onto the phones memory itself. 

Try another Sd card. 

A process of elimination.

I use the Samsung Galaxy s7 edge with my preference not to move Apps to its Sd Card. I've seen a few posts on forums from people who have experience different issues by doing so. 

That or if nothing detrimental is happening with the phone and it's a case of dismissing the pop up message carry on that way. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)
I had a problem on a previous phone, that it had reached the maximum storage of texts, and that appeared to stop all other updating and synching. I can't now remember whether I deleted old texts or adjusted the permitted number, but it seemed to fix the problem.

I don't hold out too much hope, but it might be worth a try.

hrym

It's also possible this is an overall resource issue.   As memory and storage increase, operating systems and apps tend to make more demands and devices with limited resources start to struggle.   My 4 year old Samsung tablet is an 8gb device, has about 2gb of storage left and routinely uses 600 or more of its available 800mb of RAM - fortunately Samsung provide a tool that can clear that.   I've never see the "storage full " message, but it does run extremely slowly and apps periodically crash if I have too many open or asleep.  Regular closing of Recent Apps is a necessary routine, on.top of clearing memory.

Even if you've moved apps to the sd card, they'll still be using system resources - sometimes even if they're not actually running in foreground.   Are there any you can remove, at least temporarily?   If that resolves the problem, I think we've found the cause.

That said, I had a few months with a Smart Prime and was very impressed by the way it managed memory and used the sd card as an extension of what it had internally.   I put a lot of apps on it and it never complained once.

A further thought: is there an option to adopt the sd card as part of the main storage pool.   It was something Android introduced a version or two back specifically for small-space devices.   Be aware that it formats the card is a special way and that you can't use it as attached storage and transfer it to another device (so back up your content before trying it :smileywink:)