Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Made call, other person can't hear me.

arjayjay
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi for last 2 weeks, during incoming and outgoing calls to  a variety of numbers, part way through the call normally less than 2 minutes the other person cannot hear me. I then go to press End Call and this takes a few seconds to respond on the phone ie not as quick as is normally.

I tried Vodafone online support who said they had fixed, but it's not. I also spoke to Carphone warehouse where I got the Phone (Samsung A3) and Vodafone contract last August and they said possibly to ask Vodafone for new SIM card and also try calls when I am outside of house (I have been ill and at home so haven't been able to do this yet). They recalled one other person having this issue over a year ago and for that person it was a Vodafone issue.

My question - as after a search of internet and lots of different advice - has anyone seen anything like this before and is this is likely to be a Vodafone or Samsung issue and if latter if it is likely to be a hardware or software issue. Please bear in mind phone has been fine for over 8 months.

any advice welcome , thanks

19 REPLIES 19

Hi everyone,

Yesteray I managed to get a SIM adaptor (from Vodafone shop, no charge although fiddly to use and required sellotaping).

Whilst at Vodafone in Portsmouth I made a call for several minutes with no problem using my current handset (whereas I still had a problem earlier that day making a call from home).

Today I piut SIM card in my old phone and managed to make a call OK from home - so didn't appear to be SIM card. Transferred SIM card back to my current A3 and made another call - this time it was OK even though I was back on the 3G/2G setting.

So, at moment, it doesn't appear to be a handset/SIM card issue unless such a problem can be intermittent. 

Possibly the act of removing and reinserting the SIM?

The conspiray theorists and astrologers may say it is Mercury in Retrograde as I heard on teh radio yesterday that this is meant to affect telecomms - but have just read that the recent/current Retrograde is actually an optical illusion :-).But maybe weather conditions?

Otherwise possibly network issue still...will keep an eye...

Anyway thanks for all your help - I now just need to sort out how to extract my SIM card as I managed to put it back in without its little holder (Doh) and it lodged - although actually at least it  has lodged so it is working....I just can't switch phone provider.

rach

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Thank you for providing an update. 

Good to hear. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I have a similar problem but it seems to defy all logic.

I have an Alcatel 2012 on a Vodafone own sim contract. It worked perfectly until at about two months old it developed what at first I thought was an intermittent problem.

When I make a call sometimes the other party answers and I can hear them clearly but they cannot hear me.( Pressing the mute button makes no difference except an icon comes up on the screen showing a microphone with a line through it.)

I thought it was an intermittent fault but I have now realised that this only happens in a fairly tight area where I work.

I have spoken to technical support who suggested a "hard reset " by switching of and removing the sim card for a few minutes. I did this but it made no difference.

I have also swapped sims with another phone on the Vodafone network and the other phone with my sim in it worked perfectly but my phone with the other sim in it still had the fault.

I spoke to technical support again and when I explained this they said the phone was faulty and I should return it.

I have done this and have been given another identical phone but the problem in this specific area still persists but the phone works fine everywhere else.Unfortunately the area with the problem is where I work so it is important I esolve this.

I know it sounds weird, does anyone have any ideas?

hrym

It might be worth having a look at the Network Status Checker.   If that doesn't throw anything up, post on the Network Queries board.

Hi as you  will see from my original posting on 6 May I had this problem - just at home - and as I was working from home at the time it was a pain.  I guess when you tried the other phone with your current SIM that you tried it in your work area ?

Just to let you know that my problem just went away after a few weeks - and I still don't know what caused it -  but it maybe worth you hanging in there for a few weeks to see if it resolves itself and use another phone if you can for a while

As a result though of all the things I tried and the fact it just went away   I do suspect a network issue rather than a phone or SIM issue.  I still have lots of problems at home with Vodafone network as the signal fluctuates up and down from 4 bars down to no service/emergency calls only  and then back up again all within minutes so sometimes i can't make a call and then two minutes later I can make the call. often when people call me it doesn't ring and goes stragiht to voicemail. I am supposed to have good coverage where I am but it's not the case !

I hope your problem goes away..rachel

AnnS

Hi @arjayjay

The first thing to do is to click on the coverage checker at the top of the page to see if there are any network issues in your area.

From the sound of things, if the call connects but the other person cannot hear you after around 2 minutes and there is also a problem with your end button, it could be a phone fault.

As soon as you are able try a replacement SIM. If there are still problems, a  Samsung Repair Centre or Carphone Warehouse will be able to advise the best way to get the phone repaired.

Thank you for replying :-). I will check network coverage myself (Vodafone did say they had done that but I've not done it) and will ask them to procide a new SIM card.

thanks again, I will post an update if and when I get to bottom of the issue.

Mrsmuddle
1: Seeker
Exactly the same has happened to me! Only the person on the other end of the call can't hear me at all. And it's only been last 2 weeks. It makes no difference if I'm inside or outside either.

Hi MrsMuddle - can you clarify which network and which telephone you are using?

thanks

arjayjay

Mrsmuddle
1: Seeker
I'm on Vodafone & galaxy s5