Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Massive android os data usage

stangelica
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have just got the S7 with a 10gb data allowance. I previously had a S5 with 1gb. My new S7 has had 4.19gb of data used in the last 2 days as background data for the android os. Please can someone advise how this is possible? I have turned background data off but still want to now what can use this amount of data?

17 REPLIES 17

Thanks againfor your help :Smiling:

Yes has come out of my allowance as that is how I noticed it in the first place as says 5.4gb left from 10gb. Also must have been at work when it happened as at home would have used wifi and did nothing with it at work.

Just cannot think what would use over 4gb. I could stream videos all day and would not use that.

Do not want to have to mess around all the time with switching things off and on. My old S5 had a 1gb monthly allowance and I never went over this, now in 2 days I have used not far off a years worth on the old phone.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Ok.

If this was happening to me I'd try a Google search first and then also speak with Samsung Uk support. I do recall some posts in other android forums in regards to android os using a lot of battery. 

If one is local to you then visiting a Samsung Service Location could be an option. 

One such thread is http://androidforums.com/threads/holy-smokes-high-data-usage-by-android-os-solved.490265/

and

http://androidforums.com/threads/android-os-excessive-data.1009403/

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thin I have found out why SAMSUNG CLOUD!!!

This has 12.6gb of which 12.56gb is backup data' When I looked at my wifi usage there was 4.19gb data and 7.73gb wifi for android os. 

When I setup my phone I created a samsung account and I think this has hogged all my data. I have turned this backup off and will actually delete it altogether. I have all my main stuff on a 128gb microsd anyway and always backup my phone contents onto my laptop as well.

BandOfBrothers

I save some  items to my SD card and Dropbox and to iCloud from Samsung but have tweaked it to only update while on wifi. 

None of my apps are permitted to update on mobile data unless I let it and I've turned off google photos and google drive.

Current Phone  >

jeffkinn

Is there not an option to use the Samsung backup only when connected to Wi Fi?

You can certainly do this with iCloud and Google Photos.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

The Samsung cloud is the only thing that comes within a country mile of the amount of data transferred to match what wifi and data have used.

I do not need any backup other than photos which store onto SD card and I backup myself and my contacts which are stored on my gmail account.

May look at cloud again and its options later but want to wait and see if this has really solved my data issue. Have turned on background data again and will monitor this over next few weeks.

Thanks to you all that replied :Smiling:

jeffkinn
If the only place you are backup up photos to is the SD card you'd be well advised to think of an alternative backup process. SD cards do go wrong and phones get lost. I'd recommend Google Photos as they give you unlimited storage but there are lots of other options. Copying photos to a computer is also a good thing to do.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

BandOfBrothers

On mine Samsung Cloud is done via wifi connection. 

It auto updates when on wifi. 

If I tried to update on mobile data only I recieve a warning pop up message asking for authority to go ahead. 

Current Phone  >