• Mobile Data is no longer connected
  • Mobile Data won't switch on
  • Data usage app crashes immediately upon launch

I'm using an HTC One M8 on contract, software details are:

• Android Version 6.0
  • HTC Sense version 7.0
  • Software Number 6.12.161.4
  • I've checked for updates and none are available

It has been working flawlessly for a year and a half, until a few days ago. The battery ran down completely, not sure if that's got anything to do with it, but the problem started afterwards.

Obvious things:

• Pulling down from the top for the quick settings menu and pressing the MOBILE DATA tile doesn't do anything, it remains greyed out.
  • Going to Settings, Mobile data says "Off". Tap the button to switch it on, and the button moves to the on position, the arrows go blue, but the text underneath still says "Off" and mobile data does not connect. By navigating to another menu and then coming back to here the button and arrows are greyed out again.
  • Wifi and bluetooth work fine.

I have tried the following:

• Restart
  • Power Off, remove SIM, replace SIM, Power On
  • Texted WEB to 40127 - I receive the "It looks like you've swapped your SIM...We'll send you these by text shortly" text, but the settings never arrive
  • Played around switching Airplane mode on and off
  • Tried switching Mobile Data on while Wifi and Bluetooth are switched off
  • Gone to Network operators and hit Select automatically (Vodafone UK selected)
  • Downloaded the My Vodafone app in the hope that will download settings, but cannot connect to it because without Mobile Data I cannot verify
  • Changed Network mode between 2G, 3G, 4G and all combinations thereof
  • Checked APN settings and added new internet one. I've tried selecting Contract WAP and internet separately, and neither will kick Mobile Data into action
  • Gone to Settings > Apps > Show System, then cleared the cache of the Data Usage app - still crashes immediately when launched

It's starting to get a tad annoying now, without data this thing is just a shiny thigh guard. Had a call a couple of days ago from Vodafone trying to get me to pay for more Data each month - getting what I already pay for would be a good start.

Suggestions on how to fix would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

19 REPLIES 19

PersonaNonData
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Current APN settings are as follows:

Contract WAP (Selected)

Name: Contract WAP

APN: wap.vodafone.co.uk

Proxy: Not set

Port: Not set

Username: wap

Password: wap

Server: Not set

MMSC: Not set

MMS Proxy: Not set

MMS port: Not set

MMS protocol: WAP 2.0

MCC: 234

MNC: 15

Authentication type: PAP

APN type: default

APN enable/disable: APN enabled ON (can't change this)

Bearer: LTE

Vodafone Internet

Name: Vodafone Internet

APN: internet

Proxy: Not set

Port: Not set

Username: web

Password: web

Server: Not set

MMSC: http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms

MMS Proxy: 212.183.137.12

MMS port: 8799

MMS protocol: WAP 2.0

MCC: 234

MNC: 15

Authentication type: PAP

APN type: *

APN enable/disable: APN enabled ON (can't change this)

Bearer: LTE

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hello @PersonaNonData

Seems you have tried most of the self help troubleshooting tips. 

If this was my phone I would create a Back up to preserve the data I have in the phones storage , remove any applicable SD card and Factory Reset it via its settings. 

If this didn't work then I would approach the manufacturer if under their 24 month manufacturing warranty and the issue couldn't have been caused by a drop or water damage and ask them to see if they can help. 

Another option would be to approach the most local Vodafone Highstreet Store and ask them to look at it which could entail them sending it away to their Repair Centre. This is if you acquired the phone via Vodafone. 

Personally I'd choose the Manufacturer first as in my opinion they know their software and hardware better. 

Regarding the Apn's for Android I use the ones listed by Geeqsquad paying careful attention to the Payg and Pay Monthly Specific ones. 

i.e.

Tap the Menu button
Tap Settings
Tap Wireless and networks or More... (depending on your version of Android)
Tap Mobile Networks
Tap Access point names
Tap the Menu button
Tap New APN
Enter the following data into the onscreen form, without changing any other settings;
Name - Vodafone Internet
APN - internet (PAYG - pp.vodafone.co.uk)
Username - web (PAYG - wap)
Password - web (PAYG - wap)
MMSC - http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms
MMS Proxy - 212.183.137.12
MMS Port - 8799
Authentication type - PAP
APN type - If given a choice, select internet+mms, if the keyboard appears enter *
(As a check, the image below shows blue text in the fields you should have completed)
Tap the Menu button
Tap Save
Enable the newly-added APN by ensuring the line is ticked, or the radio button is lit by tapping on it
Check the notification bar for 4G, H, 3G, E or G with up and down arrows beside it, which will indicate your connection is working

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi @bandofbrothers,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I'll double check those APN settings later and report back.

It might be worth pointing our that I still get signal for phone calls and texts. I'm not aware of anywhere it has been dropped or water damaged, and in every other respect the phone is fine. It's been in Slim Armor all its life.

Any ideas why the promised configuration text never arrives? I've had them in the past occasionally, but have requested it multiple times recently and still nothing.

Ciao,

Simon

You're welcome @PersonaNonData

:Smiling:

Usually the configuration text fails if the Vodafone don't support a particular model of phone. 

This is the device guide for the m9 so should be similar. 

Device guide.

Further help in...

Setting-up-and-using-your-device/Your-phone-s-settings/38913427/How-do-I-set-up-my-phone-for-interne...

Current Phone  >

hrym

I suspect that the issue is related to the flat battery.  If the device was writing data when it lost power, it's possible that a file has got corrupted.   If you're lucky, a factory reset* will fix this but, if not, it may need a repair.

* You may also need to clear the OS cache.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Yeah, I don't want to be too pigeon like and find a pattern where there's none, but it was definitely fine beforehand.

How do I go about clearing the OS cache?

Thanks.

As a follow up, I have cleared the system cache using the following method:

• Power Off
  • Hold down the Power Button and Down Volume until system type menu appears
  • Volume Down to highlight Recovery, Power Button to select
  • Wait until phone with a red triangle and ! icon appears
  • Hold down the power button, then quickly hit Volume Up and then release both buttons
  • In the new even more system-y menu select Wipe Cache Partition

Still broken.

Hi,

Can you try your Sim Card in another phone as a process of elimination to rule out the phone or sim card that may be at fault. 

And try another known to be working Vodafone SIM card in your phone. 

Current Phone  >

Thanks @bandofbrothers

I can't see anything in the device guides for the M8 or M9 beyond what I've tried already.

Have Vodafone stopped supporting mobile data on an HTC One M8? If not, would there be any other reasons for not receiving the config text?