Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Monthly Android Security Updates

cornasdf
3: Seeker

Hi, 

Both Google and Samsung have committed to monthly security patching cycles.  This aligns with current best practice security management.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/android-security-updates

http://security.samsungmobile.com/smrupdate.html

What is Vodafone's stance on this?  Can we expect these updates to be passed along to Samsung users in a timely fashion?  I haven't been able to find an official statement on it.

Thanks

ej

24 REPLIES 24

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Dom1976

Vodafone do not comment on release of firmware, the firmware will be released for the phone when it is ready.  You can read about the policy on the link below.

Firmware

You will have been give 30 days to return the phone and get a full refund, after this time, you are unable to return the device.  I doubt that this will b something your credit card company will be able to help with getting a refund but there is no harm in you trying.

63johnw
Hi, what grounds would you have for a refund? Where has there been a breach of contract?

Dom1976
It is frustrating finding your phone's not up to date and could have being compromised over the past few months. Looks like it won't get updated. I'm not bothered about which android number I'm on. Just thought any security issues would have being sorted out as they come available from Google. If I can't get a refund what do you do as I use my phone allot for work. Do you just put it down to experience and except your details could be compromised and find a phone that gets updated security patches?

63johnw
I have had android phones for many years now, none have received regular security updates and have been fine. It's only recently that some top end phones have started receiving monthly updates.

Take care what links you open or click on and you should be fine.

BandOfBrothers

I totally agree. 

If the link isn't from a trusted source you know or feels wrong then avoid. 

Instead navigate to the page instead of using a link. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

that simply isn't enough.  The 'be careful where you click' is table stakes.  you also need some protection from teh manufacturer.  Standard procedure in most shops is to patch monthly or at least quarterly for certain antequated unix systems (solaris, I am looking in your direction).  Nobody expect software to be perfect but you do have to update it as the problems are found.  As I said before, when google releases the patches and closes the holes for their nexus and AOSP builds, they pretty much show exactly where the exploits are.  the rest of us now have known holes until vodafone gets around to patching.

Hummingbad has infected 10million users and is generating $300k/month.  It is made by a team of 25 full time employees.  That is a lot of engineering that only needs to get you to hit the wrong thing once.

http://blog.checkpoint.com/2016/07/01/from-hummingbad-to-worse-new-in-depth-details-and-analysis-of-...

Stagefright would infect anybody who received an MMS (whther they opened it or not).

http://www.howtogeek.com/225834/stagefright-what-you-need-to-know-and-how-to-protect-yourself/

There is simply no excuse and some set of android users are going to get hit hard by a vuln that has been sitting around for a long time.

It would be one thing if vodafone added any value in the chain but I have yet to see one useful thing they with their testing lag other than block the updates from coming.  Nobody wants the vodafone branded crapware.

Expect the patch in the next day or so

posted a couple of hours ago

http://www.sammobile.com/2016/07/12/samsung-releases-july-security-patch-for-the-galaxy-s7-in-uk-not...

hrym

As a matter of interest, do you get the patch updates in some other way?  I ask because I haven't received a specific OS update for my SIM-free HTC since Marshmallow.   I do, however, see periodic updates for "HTC Service Pack", which I suspect is them.   Is there anything like this for Samsung (and Vodafone-branded devices) - ie something that comes through the normal Google Play update route?

Dom1976
Yeah thanks I have an antivirus on my phone and it seems fine, its just when you are new to something and things come to light you need more info about why this or that is getting done or not.

Just makes me wonder why the top end phones have started getting them now and not before.

Dom1976
Hi
I have a Vodafone hand set ultra 6 and I have had 2 updates since I bought it in April but non were for the security patches as mine still say 1,1,2016 security patch. The only way I know how to updates is through the look for software option in settings, so there is no other to update. Not great but I'm wondering if I bought the smart platinum 7 if i would have the same security patch issue or if it's just on budget phones.