Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Nexus 7 hacked??!!

brianjefferies1
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi,

Whilst on the internet about a week ago I received a flash message from Vodafone saying my device (Nexus 7) was under hacker attack & should be closed down. It appears that I have not lost any valuable information (yet!) & wondered if anybody else has experienced the same. Since then I have been unable to connect to the internet despite trying all the suggestions /advice found on various forums / blogs. All my other devices work ok through my vodafone hub etc but not the Nexus. Any ideas out there please? Brian.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MobileNinja
13: Advanced Member

Vodafone can't access any devices unless you explicitly give them permission to, and they certainly don't use words such as hack.

Try backing up your info and then factory resetting your device is my suggestion.

If I've helped you, please click Thanks

View solution in original position

8 REPLIES 8

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @brianjefferies1

As a process of elimination to rule out the phone or sim card or account that maybe at issue can you try your sim in another phone and another sim in yours please?

Can you still text and call ?

Is the issue on non data connection happening everywhere.

I'm sure you've checked but please ensure your mobile data settings is still On in your phones settings. 

Can you try texting WEB to 40127 and or manually key in your Apn settings 

I use the ones from here > http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/vodafone-apn-settings

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

The problem is with my Nexus 7 tablet not my phone. I have been unable to connect to wifi since receiving a hacker message purportedly from vodafone.

AnnS

Hi @brianjefferies1

It's unlikely the tablet internet connection is being hacked into, it's more than likely the software or an application playing up.

Depending on where you purchased the device, you may need to go the repair route to have the WiFi key and software looked at.

MobileNinja
13: Advanced Member

Vodafone can't access any devices unless you explicitly give them permission to, and they certainly don't use words such as hack.

Try backing up your info and then factory resetting your device is my suggestion.

If I've helped you, please click Thanks

That worked! Many thanks.

hrym

Yes, it's pretty much a 100% certainty that this isn't a genuine message - more likely an advert that an app has popped up.   If all else fails with reconnecting, you could try a factory reset.   This will restore the device to it's out-of-the-box state (though with all firmware updates intact).   You'll need to set it up again as from new, so make sure you back up your content first.

I presume you've tried the basic stuff such as a simple restart, closing recent apps and flushing the app cache?

Factory Rest worked. Many thanks

hrym

Glad to hear you're sorted.  If you get another message like that in future, ignore it - in fact, avoid it like the plague!