Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Not Registered on Network

PeteSullivan
4: Newbie

Hi

I got my S4 on 3rd May and after a few days started giving the message of Not registered on network this would happen in many locations even standing still, (I havew had my contract for 4 years) so it was not a new connection problem.  Tried my sim card in my daughters HTC One and that was fine so that was eliminated, reported the problem and the phone went away for repair, it was returned a week later with a letter saying they could not find the fault and had updated the software.  Put in a new sim card and all was well for 5 days when the problem started again.  The only waay to get the phone back on the network seems to be power it down, wait a minute and then start it up again.  It is now away for repair again if it comes back with the same problem again, what action can I take?  I think the S4 is a fantastic phone and do not want a different make or model, I want a S4 that works.

Network coverage is good since I am in London, so this makes no sense and if they cannot find the fault or repair it, I want the phone replaced.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As the person who started this thread, I can assure you it is not a common problem, my phone was replaced (after 3 repair attempts) and not had any issues since so I am very satisfied.   As for being a well documented problem, I do not think so, whilst Google is good it also throws up many non related results.

Darren, I do not know how Samsung works (I am sure someone will) but with Voda they will try 3 repairs then replace it and it is always away no more than 7 days.

View solution in original position

169 REPLIES 169

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi

Please try the steps in our Network Troubleshooting thread.

If you are still experiencing the issue having completed these steps, post the template with your answers here and I'll have a member of the team get back to you ASAP.

Thanks

Jenny

Hi

The phone is currently at the repair centre again, it has had 2 different sim cards and both are doing same this.  As for the template,  I made a call, stood where I was for 5 mintes, then tried to make another and got Not registered on network, so it is erratic to say the least.  Once it comes back again, I will see if they have done anything to it, last time they said in a letter it was not repaired as they could not find the fault, they called me to ask about it and told me they had to have it finished by 4pm so they worked on a phone that is irregular in behaviour for 5 hours, it can go 2-3 days before it goes wrong. If it is still the same I will be asking for a replacement.

Hi Pete

It helps to complete and post the Template Here as instructed as this will determine if there is a fault in your area with a Mast or if the fault is actually with the Phone.

I know it's a pain but it really will help track down what is causing your issue... :smileyhappy:

Home area SE23   S E London

1). The problem has occured in several areas, around South East London also Croydon.

2). I do not know all the postcodes but SE23, SE26, SE10, CR7 and Central Croydon

3). Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?  No

4). Are there any issues in your area already reported on the Network Updates Board?  No

5). Does this issue happen on 2G, 3G or both? To check, go to the Help Centre, select your phone and then select "network". Unknown, it requires restarting to get back on network

6). What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs? When attempting to use the phone a notice on screen saying "Not registered on network"

7) When did you first notice this issue? After about 10 days.

😎 Is the issue permanent or intermittent (If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs)?The problem is intermittent and happens at various times of day.  The only solution I have found is power off the phone and then restart.

Hope this helps.

I will add this information to the template

Minutes used  0    allowed Unlimited

Text messages 4   allowed Unlimited

Data 17mb   allowed 2gb

That shows how much use it has been in the last month, info available as my bill is ready.

Hi PeteSullivan,

Thanks for the template.

I really need the full postcode of the affected areas. Half of it isn't any use to me :Smiling:

Cheers,

LeeH

Hi Lee

This is the best I can remember

All these was when stationary

SE23 2DT

CR7 8RW

CR0 1UA

This was while driving on a journey at SE23 3HN I gave up and restarted the phone.  That journey is approximately 2 miles. Some post codes from that journey may be missing.

SE26 6PL

SE26 4BB

SE26 4QZ

SE26 4RQ

SE23 3HN

There are other places like Greenwich Park, there is a few more locations that I cannot exactly remember where I was.

I had this issue today in the middle of Birmingham City Centre full signal bars but not registered on the network. Tried putting it to Air plane mode and back a few times but same issue, however a reboot seem to get it back working. Also over the month I have noticed this happens a bit, while the phone has signal bars but it does not register on the network - does the vodafone sim latch on to random networks? Also I noticed on the S4 there doesn't seem to be an option to manually select the network - like with other phones - don't know if this is due to vodafones own firmware.

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

I have a unbranded S4. To manually select a mobile operator you need to go to 

Settings

More

More networks

Mobile networks

Network operators

Once it has finished searching it will show all the available networks and you can either choose to select a network automatically or choose one of those listed.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png