Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Not Registered on Network

PeteSullivan
4: Newbie

Hi

I got my S4 on 3rd May and after a few days started giving the message of Not registered on network this would happen in many locations even standing still, (I havew had my contract for 4 years) so it was not a new connection problem.  Tried my sim card in my daughters HTC One and that was fine so that was eliminated, reported the problem and the phone went away for repair, it was returned a week later with a letter saying they could not find the fault and had updated the software.  Put in a new sim card and all was well for 5 days when the problem started again.  The only waay to get the phone back on the network seems to be power it down, wait a minute and then start it up again.  It is now away for repair again if it comes back with the same problem again, what action can I take?  I think the S4 is a fantastic phone and do not want a different make or model, I want a S4 that works.

Network coverage is good since I am in London, so this makes no sense and if they cannot find the fault or repair it, I want the phone replaced.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As the person who started this thread, I can assure you it is not a common problem, my phone was replaced (after 3 repair attempts) and not had any issues since so I am very satisfied.   As for being a well documented problem, I do not think so, whilst Google is good it also throws up many non related results.

Darren, I do not know how Samsung works (I am sure someone will) but with Voda they will try 3 repairs then replace it and it is always away no more than 7 days.

View solution in original position

169 REPLIES 169

annybee
4: Newbie

Forgive me if I'm missing something - I'm new to this but I am also having signal problems with my S4. I recently upgraded from S2 which I have been extremely happy with, but since having the S4 I have problems with signal nearly all the time.

The phone shows sometimes 3 or 4 bars (or sometimes none) but when I try to make a call I get "no network" message and it takes ages to send a text.

Surely there are to many of these problems for Samsung and Vodafone to keep ignoring? This is a very hi-tech expensive toy - great for gaming and wi-fi but it doesn't seem to work too well as a phone????

I have tried switching to 2G and all the other suggestions.

Phone sometimes works after a reboot but not for long. It's very disappointing, having had a really reliable S2 for nearly 2 years. Wish I hadn't bothered with the upgrade :Sad_face:

Don't expect any support from Vodafone.  I logged the case in November and responded to requests for further information and have not had a reply since.  Still not working correctly.

Have to agree with lack of help from vodafone. Ive had this network issue for months now, phone been sent once to samsung and once to vodafone , both times said it was fixed but problem still exists.  So took to vodafone store(i wont say where) as i had another problem , kept shutting down. As far as the network issue goes, she said lots of people ,including herself have this problem , and even she cant get it sorted, just keep sending for repair. Her words were "vodafone repair service is useless" .

Regarding phone shutting down she said battery was swollen and needs replacing , but they dont stock batteries but i should go to carphone warehouse as they do. took trip there and they dont. got one online. Since then i have read that samsung and vodafone are aware of the problem and should be replaced free of charge.

great service

Regards Darren

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi annybee,

It may be that the issue you’re facing is network related.

So that we can check this out, take a look here.

Hi ste148,

I’m sorry that your post was missed.

I’ve checked for you and we were aware of an issue in the BD23 postcode area around the time you’ve posted but this has since been resolved.

I’d suggest getting a replacement SIM to see if this helps at all.

A Vodafone store can supply a replacement free of charge and also activate it for you there and then.

Cheers,

Andrew

Thank you Andrew

I don't have another phone here I can try the sim in because it is a different size. It may be a whle before I can get to the vodafone shop so I'll just have to persevere. For now I have had to divert all my calls to my old  mobile, which isn't very satisfactory, but at least now I am not missing calls!

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply, but without wishing to sound harsh, you've just given the two stock answers that I've already been given by Vodafone Tech Support.

I've already replaced the SIM card, with no success.

The problem isn't just happening at one location; it happens on a regular basis at various ones.  When I spoke to tech support they said that I should note down the exact location of every place where the service failed and let them know so that it could be resolved.  The fact that if I am travelling at the time and therefore unlikely to be back at that location again in a while (or ever) means that I get no benefit, while Vodafone have someone fault finding your network.  Furthermore, every time I've spoken to tech support, amazingly 'we've got a fault in that post code'.  

Having previously been with what is now EE, I knew exactly where I stood: no bars of signal, no calls.  With Vodafone and the Galaxy S4, my phone is showing anything from 1 to full bars and yet I get a message saying 'Not Registered on Network' or 'Network not available'.  Someone from tech support did tell me that 'the bars don't mean anything about how good the signal is'  - if this is the case then why do manufacturers put them on the phones, and why have they always been a good indicator on the past on other networks?

I accept that there will always be areas of poor coverage, and times when there are issues in areas where normally coverage is good, but my experience over the past three months is that Vodafone's network is nowhere near as good as your competitors.

@240719 wrote:

Hi annybee,

It may be that the issue you’re facing is network related.

So that we can check this out, take a look here.

Hi ste148,

I’m sorry that your post was missed.

I’ve checked for you and we were aware of an issue in the BD23 postcode area around the time you’ve posted but this has since been resolved.

I’d suggest getting a replacement SIM to see if this helps at all.

A Vodafone store can supply a replacement free of charge and also activate it for you there and then.

Cheers,

Andrew

I had exactly the same problem Not on the Network and on checking settings in Galaxy Y GTS5360 in about phone phone foune My Phone number (Unknown) checked some other settings and the message INSERT SIM CARD was displayed. The phone was reset to factory default, and the software updated via the Internet, because Samsung Kies program device driver did Not install and KIES was therefore unable to connect to GT-S5360.

Two Sim cards were tried,  I do Not have another device in which the Sim.

The Vodaphone store involves a drive of 60 Miles (round trip) Not an option!!  A smart Vodaphone person informed me that the store only 24 miles away, to which I replied, "I have driven there numerous and should know the milage) 24 miles is as the crow flies.

After spending Five days attempting to sort this out by telephoning Vodaphone and Samsung helplines, which cost me £12 I gave up and returned the New five day old phone to the supplier for a refund.

All in all five days of utter frustration, aggravation and stress.

Vodaphone need to liaise with Samsung and rectify the issue

These phones should function straight out of the box and customers should NOT be subjected to hours/days/weeks of aggravation.

Finding this forum has been an eyeopener and I doubt if I will ever use Vodaphone of Samsung in future.

A complete disaster from start to finish No phone, FIVE days wasted and out of pocket to the tune £12 Will Vodaphone refund the cost of my calls?????

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi voodoo1,

I’m sorry to see that the issue you’ve faced resulted in returning your phone.

We’d be unable to refund the call charges you’ve incurred.

Thanks for posting the solution that you’ve found; it may help others in the same situation.

For any issue with a phone that was provided directly from Vodafone, we’d advise taking it to a store.

They’ll be able to check it over and send it for repair if needed.

Thanks,

Andy

@240719 wrote:

Hi voodoo1,

I’m sorry to see that the issue you’ve faced resulted in returning your phone.

We’d be unable to refund the call charges you’ve incurred.

Thanks for posting the solution that you’ve found; it may help others in the same situation.

For any issue with a phone that was provided directly from Vodafone, we’d advise taking it to a store.

They’ll be able to check it over and send it for repair if needed.

Thanks,

Andy

After Five days of aggravation and frustration, I doubt if I'll be using Samsung. My next move is to try Tesco, see a demo of a phone actually functioning and possibly purchasing a mobile from them. A neighbour has a Tesco mobile and has had No problems in Three years of use.

When you add the totality of voda's performance voting with your wallet is the only way to go !