Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Note 7 and PAC codes. Advice please?

Chippy_boy
4: Newbie

I have a Note 7 and I do not want an S7 Edge, nor any other phone on the market, so I think that means I need to cancel my contract and get a refund.

Here's my concern:  It is ABSOLUELY ESSENTIAL that I do not lose my number.  I've had it for 16 years and have literally thousands of contacts.  It would be a total disaster if I lost my number.

I've already called VF and got a PAC code.

So what do I do?  If I go into Carphone Warehouse and say I want to cancel, as I understand it, my contract is cancelled there and then.  I am worried that they will ##~## it up and my number will be lost.

If I just use my PAC code now (to make sure I've got my number), then I am worried I will be hit for a 23 x £42 bill and will have a big argument to follow.

What should I do?

Moderator note: Post edited, please refer to our Community Guidelines. 

8 REPLIES 8

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

Do you definitely want to move away from Vodafone?

I would speak with customer service on 191 and ask them the process to best proceed. 

If you go into cpw and use the pac code then that will cease your Vodafone Contract and move your number to a different network. 

Your correct to be cautious in regards to an early termination fee. 

I'm no expert in this but maybe they could convert the contract into a 30 day sim only or payg which takes 30 days to retain your number and then request another pac code as these last 30 days only. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

The problem I have is I don't trust any of them to give me the correct advice. I've been told all sorts of nonsense, and the last time I rang I got transfered to 5 (yes 5) different people in retentions and various other departments, having to explain it all over again.

They all said, "if you cancel, you'll get billed for the remainder of the contract term".  And I had to argue with each to say that's clearly not right.

Let me ask a straight question:  If I go into CPW and they cancel my contract there and then, is the PAC code that I have in my possession still valid?  Or once my contract is cancelled (and no PAC code has been used) is the number lost?

See my concern?

BandOfBrothers

Using the pac code cancels the Vodafone Contract. 

Don't let them cancel the contract as you may lose the number. Cancelling get a Vodafone Contract outright loses the number and they'll want 30 days notice. 

You could take out another contract from another Network and then eventually use a PAC code from Vodafone to move your number across. Downside is your then running two contracts which can be costly. 

You could use live chat and retain the chat transcripts. 

Current Phone  >

@BandOfBrothers wrote:

Using the pac code cancels the Vodafone Contract. 

Yes of course.

But what if it's done the other way around? What if someone cancels the contract BEFORE the PAC is used?  Is the PAC still valid or is the number lost?  This is what will happen if I go into CPW and return my Note 7 and ask for a refund.

That's what I am concerned about.

BandOfBrothers

Sorry I was editing my post as you posted. 

If you don't use a PAC code and just cancel the contract you'll lose the mobile number. 

Current Phone  >

Thanks.  That's exactly what I was worried about.  I don't trust CPW at all to get this right and if I lose my number, it's a total DISASTER.

Looks like I will have to use my PAC code and argue with Vodafone about the ensuing £966 bill.

BandOfBrothers

You're welcome. 

Also cpw have a reputation for opening up second lines instead of upgrading properly and can be slow in updating the network concerned causing further delays. 

Speak with Vodafone via Live Chat and retain the transcripts you request. Also screens shot the conversation in case the email with the transcripts fails. 

Current Phone  >

Thanks - I appreciate the advice. It's vitally important they get it right though.  Me being able to blame someone after they got it wrong, won't really help.  If my number got lost, I would imagine I'd never get it back - especially if it got allocated to a new subscriber.