Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Nougat update for HTC M9

simonmurray
4: Newbie

My phone hasn't had the OTA update yet.
It has Android 6.0, Sense 7.0 and Software 3.35.401.32.

I am with Vodafone UK, but purchased this handset separately.

How can I tell if my phone is setup by Vodafone handset?

I have seen the file online ~1.9GB.

Can I downlaod and install it myself?

If I do it will it be ok, or will I brick it?

Rgds Simon

[Samung S8 & Vodafone V8 (business)]

38 REPLIES 38

I did a factory reset, and it has definitely improved matters, but FB still crashes and having other minoir issues, all of which I didn't have pre update!

Rgds Simon

[Samung S8 & Vodafone V8 (business)]

hrym
17: Community Champion

Facebook has been known to be slow with compatibility updates for new OS versions.   If I have problems with apps, my normal first port of call is to clear the cache and data and then force stop.   A reset should have effectively done that, but it would be worth a try.   You'll need to log back into FB and re-enter any specific settings, but that should be all.  If that fails, try deleting the app and re-installing - but do the "clear" thing first.

hrym

Thanks, @thesoupdragon.   I've done updates on HTCs before with no problem and would only do a reset if necessary (it being such a pita).   Before I delve headlong into it, I just wondered whether you'd encountered issues or whether it was precautionary.   I shall give it a go (wish me luck!)

thesoupdragon
Hi Simon,

I haven't noticed any issues since upgrading. Did you restore your phone from a previous "save state" or did you set up as a new device?
I restored my phone from a "save" that had been made the same day, not sure if that would make any difference or not?

When you get the "glitches" are you on mobile data or wifi?

thesoupdragon
@hrym

No issues, other than getting used to new features 😉

My unbranded HTC One M9 got Nougat around end of Jan / Start of feb.  Generally it seems good and faster but that just be an illusion.  However, there's one major annoyance related to wifi:  It just refuses to connect to Vodafone WiFi on the tube.

I use the underground every day and the same unbranded handset running 6.x would happily connect to "Vodafone WiFi" at every station (automatically, using EAP-SIM; *not* "Virgin WiFi" requiring online username/password). 

But now it wont ever authenticate either with EAP-SIM (which used to work) or EAP-AKA.  According to Vodafone support both should work, but as my hanset is unbranded and/or running non Vodafone firmware I think I've exhausted the support they'll give.

So I'd be interested to know if anyone else with Nougat on an unbranded HTC One M9 is able to conect with "Vodafone WiFi" ?????

Nice as 7 is, TBH I'd almost prefer to downgrade back to the unbranded 6.x I had in January to get the old connectivity back, but wouldn't know where to start (other than maybe  contact HTC!)

hrym

Yes, this would be a matter for HTC.  Whether they'd do the work without charge, I don't know.

FWIW, mine (also unbranded) seems to be fine apart from one app which wasn't Nougat-compatible and has disappeared from Google Play anyway.  Also, I'm having an issue connecting to a Chromecast Mark 1, but I'm not sure whether I'd done that on this device before the update, so it may be unrelated.

You could try clearing the system cache, which is non-destructive, unlike a full reset.   I don't use the Underground, so have never tried using its WiFi, but there seems to be all kinds of issues with it.

>there seems to be all kinds of issues with it.

Do you have any references to where this is discussed? -- not that I dont believe you, but because I'd like to follow what's going on.  my own googling skills hadn't turned up any recent (2016/17) chatter on it.

hrym

There have been various threads on this forum relating to wifi on the Underground.  As I don't use it, I haven't followed them in any detail.  They usually relate to login difficulties in general (though I haven't noticed any for a while).   You could try a forum search, but I'm not sure how helpful it'll be as there doesn't seem to be a common cause (that I've seen).