Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Nougat won't Install HTC M9

cycoles1999
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Update 4.17.161.11 downloaded but won't install ..  prepares to update, quick black screen - then shows  Software status Modified,

Locked, S-ON security warning.  only option that works is reboot or power down.  entering recovery mode the screen is black with silver htc logo but states failed to boot to recovery mode, this build is for development purposes only.

I've had issues with the phone after a few months of getting it which steadily got worse, overheating, random shutdowns or lockups, resetting everything to default to name a few, sent it back to be repaired but after 11 days was told warranty void as crack in camera screen (which wasnt there when I handed it in)

I've never tampered or modified anything on the phone so at a complete loss.

Anyone got an idea what is going on ?

current software info:

Android 6, Sense 7.0, Software 3.35.161.12

3 REPLIES 3

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hello @cycoles1999

I assume the update is via the Software Update settings in your phone ?

I'm aware a person can have some issues if the internal storage memory isn't enough to allow the update. 

May i ask if you've checked you've have enough. 

Clear the Ram. 

Also closing everything down and then turn the phone Off and On to clear things. 

This gives the phone all the resources it needs. 

If no joy then create a Back Up and Factory Reset.

Then try again. 

I always suggest to a person that before they relinquish the handset to be sent off they take time / date stamped pictures of it, with one of it turned on if possible, and that the store employee also notes it condition.

It maybe worth checking if the store employee did this. 

Also it can be beneficial speaking to the Manufacturer themselves as they can be more accommodating. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

I've updated my M9 to Nougat and did pretty much what Lee suggests (clear recent apps, make sure there are no app updates pending, restart).   If all else fails, I think a repair is your only option and I'd be inclined to go direct to HTC at this stage.

thanks guys, yes the update was via the software update option in the phone.  had already cleared 4gb of space before downloading, turned on/off, cleared ram and was going to clear cashe partition thats when I found the software status modified.  I'm not sure the factory reset will work, as this was the option, and didn't work, to resolve previous issues before the phone was sent away.  I'll try anyway and post results in due course.

Lee, the condition noted by the store staff on the repair booking form was "fair condition, minor scratches". The only marks were at the top and bottom on the back where it sits on my desk.. marks caused by the curved back of the phone.  When I collected the phone and showed my copy of the booking form the manager changed her mind from no repair to only have the software sorted and not the cracked lens. Wasn't amused with that. 

Any idea how or why the software would show modified?