Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

OK Google S7 EDGE

steveq
4: Newbie

I cannot find a setting that will let me use OK Google while the screen is locked or off, I am pretty sure I had this before the Nougat update.

It works fine while charging and while the screen is on, I want it so I can use it when the phone is in my pocket.

I know this option is available on other phones.

I've searched for help but nothing I've found online works.

From the Vodafone Samsung H1 onto the Galaxy S now onto the stunning Galaxy S3
Next step will be a 4G Phone and its a Sony Xperia Z3
Back to Samsung with an S7 Edge

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

I use ok Google and have turned all the settings that are available to On. 

From my understanding if the option you ask for was present then this could kill the battery as the phone would be continuously monitoring. 

The 'Trusted Voice Option could be a workaround as takes about in this thread. > https://www.google.co.uk/amp/forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s7/661999-ok-google-screen-off...

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks Lee, I had read that article but I also read that Google are pulling the google now app
I read that svoice might do it but I've stayed away from svoice after all thr trouble it caused on my wifes s6

From the Vodafone Samsung H1 onto the Galaxy S now onto the stunning Galaxy S3
Next step will be a 4G Phone and its a Sony Xperia Z3
Back to Samsung with an S7 Edge

BandOfBrothers

You're Welcome:)

I'm waiting for the new Google Assistant which from reading user reviews and blogs will be a better experience. 

I also choose not to use s-voice for my own reasons such as battery drain etc. 

As i mentioned a feature that's always listening even when the lock screen is engaged / phone sleeping this could be quite a heavy drain on the battery. 

My recent thread > Google-Assistant-Anyone-received-this-new-feature-yet ?

Current Phone  >

Just read this thread in another forum so it seems the feature is dependent msybe on what country / Update one is in / on. 

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s7-edge/779246-ok-google-now-working-screen-off.html...

Current Phone  >

Stevie1
14: Advanced member
Hi steveq, Have you tried using Samsung's S voice it works in a similar way to Google Now and you can unlock your phone from any screen in fact anything you can do on Google now you can do via S voice which is a pre installed app and it you should find it in the Samsung apps folder

:robotmad:

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member
Looks like Samsung are ending s voice
The s8 is rumoured to come with a new version which is supposed to be a lot better optimised
With will be interesting
Will be nice if it filters down to my s7 edge

Stevie1
Not sure if there getting rid of S voice all together l know there bringing out something new for the S8 called Bixby which is supposed to be something like Google assistant/Now see the link below.

https://news.samsung.com/global/bixby-a-new-way-to-interact-with-your-phone

:robotmad: