Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Platinum 7 5Ghz wi-fi connectivity problems - no internet or VERY slow

RedSnowDonkey
3: Seeker

Just got this rather nice phone but I'm having trouble gaining a stable 5GHz connection from it (to my router), which is one of the main reasons for getting the phone in the first place (it being Dual Band).

At first I get the constant "obtaining IP address" loop, until I give the device a static IP address.

Then I get "connected, no internet" for at least a few minutes (and a pop-up warning of that too).

Then I get a signal with internet but it's incredibly iffy and often drops out... and I end up disconnecting and going back to 2.4GHz.

The key points:

1) 2.4GHz works (but is crowded).

2) Router (Netgeat X4 R7500 Nighthawk) has the latest firmware and settings.

3) 5GHz works perfectly with other devices (including a much older Tesco Hudl 2).

4) I've set up 5GHz with a different SSID to ensure I can tell the difference.

5) There are no other 5GHz networks in the area (and I've checked).

6) I've tried different 5GHz channels from 38 to 112... and they're all the same.

Can anyone help, please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Looks like it's a Netgear Nighthawk X4 R7500 5Ghz compatibility problem!

I've sourced a second-hand BT Home Hub 5 (about £15) and configured it as a 5GHz access point (even on the same channel as the Netgear) and the signal to the Platinum is flawless... so much to the point that I might buy another one and sell the Netgear on!

Fingers crossed that this might help anyone else out there (but I doubt there's many with this very annoying scenario!).

Cheers!

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi,

My Samsung Galaxy s7 edge uses Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac which is the same specs as your phone. 

I also choose to split my frequencies on my HomeHub 5. 

My phone connects fine to 5ghz although I typically get a more stable connection on 2.4Ghz. 

It seems you know your way around your router and phone and have looked at the generic troubleshooting tips. 

If this becomes an issue and your phone is on the latest firmware and updates you could ask a Vodafone store to send it away to be looked at if you acquired the phone from them directly. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

RedSnowDonkey
Thanks for the response.

I only got the phone on Thursday so it feels a little soon to send it back... but we have a shop on site so I'll have a word. I already have an Ultra 6 with them, getting mended, so I was hoping not to have another duff one!

It's an odd one that I can't get it sorted. Even tried a factory reset earlier, just in case, and the same result.

Getting a BT home hub 5 soon (to use as an access point) so may try with that too...

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@RedSnowDonkey Please let us know if the issue still occurs once you've changed to the BT Home Hub 5. 

Looks like it's a Netgear Nighthawk X4 R7500 5Ghz compatibility problem!

I've sourced a second-hand BT Home Hub 5 (about £15) and configured it as a 5GHz access point (even on the same channel as the Netgear) and the signal to the Platinum is flawless... so much to the point that I might buy another one and sell the Netgear on!

Fingers crossed that this might help anyone else out there (but I doubt there's many with this very annoying scenario!).

Cheers!

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@RedSnowDonkey Thank you for letting us know how you resolved the issue! 

We're sure this will be beneficial for others on the eForum.