Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Play store prices

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member

I might be out of touch a bit here.

But just looking at some of the novelty stuff on the playstore I can't help thinking that in app purchases of one game range from 1.99 to 99.99

Now I understand developers need to get some return for there work but 100 quid for an in app purchase of one game 

Does any one actually pay for these things 

I think one reasonable price to unlock everything would be better all round 

I just can not see justification of 100 quid for one in purchase.

Sometimes I feel like I'm living on the dark side of the moon when I see some of these things.

Does any one else use there novelty items?

Can any one justify a 100 quid price tag?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

It's similar in the App Store for iPhones and iPads.

There has been wide media coverage when In-App purchases have resulted in very large Bills. Which is sometimes a parent letting a child play a game and not be fully aware of how charges can rise via paying for more coins etc in a game for example. Sometimes Apple or Google have intervened and quashed all or some of the bill as a one off. 

Nowadays people are much more aware and it's clearly shown in the App Store if in app purchases come with it. 

Committed Gamers will pay for the initial game if not free, extra maps and other item purchases to enhance their playing experience. Both my sons have the xBox One and do this. They'll pay for Football Player packs in Fifa without knowing what players they'll actually get. This can range from £5 up to and beyond £20+

In some specific apps a tremendous amount of work has gone into creating it and also providing regular updates. 

Ive paid for Apps before but not in the £100 price bracket. :Smiling:

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers

It's similar in the App Store for iPhones and iPads.

There has been wide media coverage when In-App purchases have resulted in very large Bills. Which is sometimes a parent letting a child play a game and not be fully aware of how charges can rise via paying for more coins etc in a game for example. Sometimes Apple or Google have intervened and quashed all or some of the bill as a one off. 

Nowadays people are much more aware and it's clearly shown in the App Store if in app purchases come with it. 

Committed Gamers will pay for the initial game if not free, extra maps and other item purchases to enhance their playing experience. Both my sons have the xBox One and do this. They'll pay for Football Player packs in Fifa without knowing what players they'll actually get. This can range from £5 up to and beyond £20+

In some specific apps a tremendous amount of work has gone into creating it and also providing regular updates. 

Ive paid for Apps before but not in the £100 price bracket. :Smiling:

Current Phone  >

Thanks for that Lee 

Is there a way of downloading these things and not getting charged.

I have the setting USE FINGERPRINT FOR PURCHASES turned on.

I used angry birds to pass time on the bus.

But I noticed a few times it said NO INTERNET CONNECTION

so I presume it was trying to charge me for something.

Is there a way of making sure you a not charged for anything, because I'm sure some of them are good to use but they are designed to trip you into paying for something from my experience of using a few apps

A lot of these games have in game ads to earn money frm those players that only play the free version of the game, which is probably most of us. Most apps, when you purchase an add on disable the ads which for some games where the ads are very intrusive is worthwhile. Sometimes, like with candy cruch, you need a connection to get your free bonuses or to usu special features

The ads often need an internet connection to display so if you have no connection you will usually find the  space where the ad will be will show an error message where there is no connection to be able to show the ad.

To answer your main point, as long as you have to input some form of password to complete a purchase via the Google Play store, you won't accidentally download and pay for anything, there is about three steps to go through first.

Of course if you downlaod an app from anywhere else other than Google Play those protections won't apply so for safety only download an app from Google Play.

Samsung A52S 5G - SM-A528B/DS

Android Version - 12 One UI version 4.1

Last Update 19.4.22

Build- SP1A.210812.016/A528BXXS1CVD1

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4
Nova Launcher. Chrome browser.

My phone history (back to 1997!):

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

BandOfBrothers

You're Welcome @SKYMAN513

In the phones relavant Settings have a look to see if there are any app permissions. 

As long as you have the required security protocols in place then by being vigilant on what your doing you should be ok. 

Also read the information given in the PlayStore for that particular app. So many just hit the  download button and not read the app info or even the reviews. Reading all this gives a person to make an informed decision. 

Current Phone  >

Thanks again for that Lee, I am actually going to uninstall them after reading this.

I just looked at what you said,but I noticed once you have down loaded it you have the normal permissions but when you press the 3 dots in the top right hand side you get 

ALL PERMISSIONS I got quite a scare basically some of them have access to everything and I mean everything,

I don't understand why you have the permissions where you switch them but it seems that wouldn't make a difference.I have nothing to hide I actually don't mind looking on Google maps looking  were I have been with my gear fit 2 but surely some of them should not have access to things that don't require it 

I think i better stop here!!

😒🙃 it's a shame because some of them are really good but like you said these people obviously put a lot of time into these things I would be comfortable paying  a reasonable one off payment and no access to my entire life🤣 

But hey ho it's the way it goes

hrym

Some games do indeed insist on pretty much blanket permissions and are suspected of hoovering up contacts on an industrial scale.  I've also noticed that they can also use susprising amounts of data serving up ads, so I try to remember to turn mobile data off if I'm playing one and I'm not on wifi.

BandOfBrothers

You're Welcome. 

I was was recently looking for a Torch App and decided to not download some of them because they wanted permissions to access parts of my phone that in my eyes shouldn't but can only assume the Developer needed to hook in that part ?

Current Phone  >