Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Re: Authentication Error

bolo
12: Established

Hi Will and thank you for your reply. I am not on sure signal. To clarify, almost  every time I switch on my phone a notification stating that there is an 'Authentication Error' appears on the screen. If I double click on it I am taken to a page part of which I have posted in an earlier post. I have absolutely no idea as to the source and apart from that page appearing when I double click, I can find no trace of it in emails or anywhere else. There is a delete account choice at the bottom but on clicking on that, up comes a message that all of my emails will be deleted. I raised the thread in the hope that someone here might have encountered the problem before and would be able to tell me how to get rid of the notification. I hope that clarifies my position.

8 REPLIES 8

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Ah, I see where the confusion lies - this thread is in the SureSignal section.

if you post what phone you have, it'll be moved to the relevant bit of the forum.

Have you tried another SIM card in your phone? If so do you get the same message? Have you got a new SIM card and moved your number over to that? Does the error still occur?  If it does, have you performed a factory reset on the device?

PWIAC

bolo

Cheers!  Vodafone Ultra Smart 6

hrym
17: Community Champion

It looks as though that's from the email app.   Are you using the stock one rather than a service-specific one such as Gmail or Yahoo?  If you're using either of those, or another one that has a dedicated app, try using that instead as it doesn't need any setting-up other than the initial sign-in.

If it's another service, go into the app and check the send/receive settings - against those provided by the service provider if possible.   It could be that the authentication method needs to be changed.   I've deleted email accounts from a stock app before now and re-added them and the history was all there.  It's on the service server, just not on your phone.

It's a bit odd that this is appearing as soon as you start the phone, though I suppose it might if you have a regular automatic check for new emails set up and it kicks in when the phone starts.

bolo

Thought I had solved this but no such luck. Same topic, new question. If I delete the email account on my phone, will that account be deleted on my iPad also?

hrym

@bolo wrote:

Thought I had solved this but no such luck. Same topic, new question. If I delete the email account on my phone, will that account be deleted on my iPad also?

It shouldn't be.  In fact, all that should happen is that the account won't be set up on the phone.   If you then re-add it, you'll have to set up the send/receive settings again and then everything should reappear.   Deleting the account on the phone doesn't delete it on the provider's server.  As I said before, I've done this myself.   The only thing to be aware of is that, if you have a lot of messages on the server, they'll all re-sync and that can take a while and use quite a lot of data (so best done on wifi).

If you have the account set up and working on another device, you could check the communication settings there and make sure they're the same on this device.

Edited to add: I'm not familar with MS Exchange accounts, but the process should be the same.  Is this a private account or a business one - perhaps set up by your employer?   In the latter case, it's possible that the login or other access details have been changed, and they should be able to advise on that.

bolo

Posted this thread a moment ago but it has disappeared. Same topic, new question. If I deleted the email account on my phone, would it be deleted on my iPad also?

bolo

Couldn't find the post because it was on page 2 and I was looking at page 1😴

bolo

Found it! It's an Exchange Account whatever that is.