Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Removing the Google search bar on the homescreen

ice_cone12
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

On the homescreen of the Vodafone Smart First 6 (Android KitKat) is a Google search bar for either text or voice. While this app is useful, I don't like it on my homescreen because I like minimalism and the app is in the menu anyway (under the name 'Voice Search') so it is redundant to put it on the homescreen unless I was really that lazy.

How do I remove it from the homescreen without removing the app entirely? I do use it but I'd prefer to just access it from the menu and keep my homescreen clean.

15 REPLIES 15

If you disable the Google App (uninstall all updates) then the search bar will disappear.

BigD18t is right about Nova. I started to mess around with Nova about 3-4 months ago and now I have it set up just the way I want to. A lot of people are using google now as their launcher, and I really liked the set up. Nova allows:

Use of persistant search-bar (if wanted)

"Ok Google" hotword either on or off

If you opt for the search bar with Google, mic and app draw then just tapping the google word brings up the google now page (same as swiping all the way left in the google now launcher).

Plus there's a load of other options like infininte scrolling, changing colours on the app drawer, chaning icons/icon size (may need the premium app for those), setting gestures, adding more/less items to the dock, chaning the number of icons on the desktop grid/app drawer.

Well worth a trial on the free version for a few days

worlduser
2: Seeker

I also bought a Vodafone Speed 6 with KitKat and had the same problem. Here is the actual solution you want:

Settings -> Home -> (select "Standard Home Screen")

Now things will look different on your home screen and you will be able to delete and customize as you're used to. I did it because I wanted to delete the clock.

Carpe Diem!

ELIZABETHWATT65
I pressed disable but got warning message about deleting data, what data are they on about?

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

@ELIZABETHWATT65 wrote:
I pressed disable but got warning message about deleting data, what data are they on about?

It either means you have to hit the Delete Data button first, or it's warning you that disabling the app will delete data (the former, probably).   Don't worry about this, it'll only delete data within the app, not your Google account.  I've had to do it in the Play Store app, and it was fine.

ELIZABETHWATT65
I haven't got the standard home screen option on my phone.