Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Removing the Google search bar on the homescreen

ice_cone12
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

On the homescreen of the Vodafone Smart First 6 (Android KitKat) is a Google search bar for either text or voice. While this app is useful, I don't like it on my homescreen because I like minimalism and the app is in the menu anyway (under the name 'Voice Search') so it is redundant to put it on the homescreen unless I was really that lazy.

How do I remove it from the homescreen without removing the app entirely? I do use it but I'd prefer to just access it from the menu and keep my homescreen clean.

15 REPLIES 15

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there

Press and hold the widget and drag it to the recycling bin - this will delete it for, your home screen 

PWIAC

Unfortunately this is not one of those widgets that you can hold and drag. It is on the homescreen by default and when you hold it you are not able to drag it anywhere.

63johnw
17: Community Champion
Hi, if you long press on the widget do you not get the option to hide it?

I've tried holding it down for 30 seconds (Google text changes from white to blue) but no options to hide come up, infact nothing comes up at all. I am able to remove other widgets by holding them down and moving them to 'X Delete' but this search bar doesn't move at all. It's different from other widgets in that you can't move or resize it.

Just use another launcher, I use Nove launcher, it will remove the Google Search :smileywink:

I don't want to change the launcher. I do use the Google search and voice app but I don't want it on my homescreen.

Looks like you are stuck with the Google search bar on the homescreen then :smileyhappy:

hrym

There is another workround.  If you can set another homescreen as the "home" one, move your other apps to that and leave the Google Search one where it is.   The way to manage homescreens is usually to pinch one, then look for a little house icon at the top right corner.   If it's there, tap it on the one you want to be the new "home" homescreen.

The google search bar is persistant on all screens with the stock google launcher, the only way to remove it is to use Nova/Apex launcher, Ok google still works fine on these.

I have long press home to open search also.