Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Rich Communications Suite - Samsung Galaxy S4

danba
4: Newbie

Just got a prompt last night for an update of 155mb.  Haven't noticed much yet other then the messaging app has got an upgrade and now adding emoji doesn't convert a text message to MMS. There's a Rich Communications option under Network which is related to the sms app.

Baseband version: I9505XXUGNH7

Anyone else got this? :cathappy:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ellis_VF
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Everybody

As you may have noticed, we have merged a number of threads surrounding RCS together into one thread per device. This has been done so all the conversations can be done in one place rather than in several different threads. This means we are making sure that we can monitor the posts easier and when we respond we are doing so to everybody on the one device.

Please note that this thread is for discussion for RCS on the Samsung Galaxy S4 device only. If you wish to discuss the matter on another device please go to the relevant thread. If there are posts about different devices made on here, then the moderators will move them to the proper threads.

Thank you.

View solution in original position

166 REPLIES 166

jconway78
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
I'm going to have to. So annoyed. Battery dead after 3 hours of almost no usage. Nearly all by this crappy ota add ons.

Ah drat..mine is the same...battery drain by framework shocking. Will do a full reset and see what happens. Fingers and toes crossed :Smiling:

Yeah, this is what I got.  Unplugged phone at 6am.  Got less than 3 hours today and hadn't made any calls, tethered or used anything bar the MX Data Tube map app.

This OTA update should never have been sent out. (Removed as per House Rules

I had the battery drain this morning. As I don't use the stock messaging app, I disabled "Rich Communications" in the settings (under "More Networks") and then cleared the cache and data of the IMS Framework app before rebooting. I was prompted about needing a phone number for messaging when the phone booted, but I just pressed No.

Since then IMS Framework has only used 4% of the battery.

I did notice that Rich Communications was enabled again. I suspect that happened when I cleared the data settings for the IMS Framework. So, I've just turned it off again and once I've recharged to 100% I'll try letting the battery drain again and see where IMS Framework appears this time.

Hopefully the underlying issue can be resolved with a new firmware release, but maybe this will work in the meantime.

SimonWilding
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member
Having recently updated the firmware on my S4 and having spent ages getting it back to how I like it after the hard reset, I have now been infromed by my phone that there is another 155MB of new firmware waiting to be downloaded! I really can't be faffed with doing it all again, so taking into account my current version (see details below) does anyone know what the new update is for and if it is worth the hassle? (Yes I know that all updates are "worthwhile" but to paraphrase Orwell, some are more worthwhile than others!). Cheers

Samsung A52S 5G - SM-A528B/DS

Android Version - 12 One UI version 4.1

Last Update 19.4.22

Build- SP1A.210812.016/A528BXXS1CVD1

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4
Nova Launcher. Chrome browser.

My phone history (back to 1997!):

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

63johnw
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

I think the update may contain the new vodafone message + (or similar) and I dont know if it contains anything else.

Someone from the team may be able to shed more light.

Something I have read in the past (but not always heeded myself !) if its working fine and you are happy leave it alone !

I tend now to leave updates to see if anyone else reports any problems first. Thats following a poor update to the S3.

Don't bother. I did it, and it really wasn't worth it. They've messed with the stock messaging app and made it worse. 

I've got the feeling that since the update my battery is dying really quickly. I had to charge the battery 3 times per day since the update

Thanks for that guys, I've decided not to bother this time, I don't use the stock SMS app anyway. Just a follow up, when the next update is avaialble will it amalgamate the two seperate updates into one big update or will it be a case of me choosing which of the seperate updates to install?

Samsung A52S 5G - SM-A528B/DS

Android Version - 12 One UI version 4.1

Last Update 19.4.22

Build- SP1A.210812.016/A528BXXS1CVD1

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4
Nova Launcher. Chrome browser.

My phone history (back to 1997!):

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

fairywishes1
4: Newbie
My battery is shocking now. So fed up with that "text just got better prompt" so forced to enter my mob number!! This better not get circulated to other companies to phone me from!! Anyway after imputing my mob number i got a text message explaining i can disable it by going to Settings-connections-more networks - Rich Communications which you then untick to disable. Is there anything else I need to do to ensure I'm not signef up to or being chargef for this?