Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Rich Communications Suite - Samsung Galaxy S4

danba
4: Newbie

Just got a prompt last night for an update of 155mb.  Haven't noticed much yet other then the messaging app has got an upgrade and now adding emoji doesn't convert a text message to MMS. There's a Rich Communications option under Network which is related to the sms app.

Baseband version: I9505XXUGNH7

Anyone else got this? :cathappy:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ellis_VF
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Everybody

As you may have noticed, we have merged a number of threads surrounding RCS together into one thread per device. This has been done so all the conversations can be done in one place rather than in several different threads. This means we are making sure that we can monitor the posts easier and when we respond we are doing so to everybody on the one device.

Please note that this thread is for discussion for RCS on the Samsung Galaxy S4 device only. If you wish to discuss the matter on another device please go to the relevant thread. If there are posts about different devices made on here, then the moderators will move them to the proper threads.

Thank you.

View solution in original position

166 REPLIES 166

I too upgraded to I9505XXUGNH7 and am experiencing appalling battery life with IMS framework accounting for 32% of battery usage - please can we have an urgent fix for this - or an easy method to roll back. Vodafone this is very disappointing and is effectively depriving me of the ability to use the phone for which I pay a not inconsiderable monthly price. Please can you escalate this and help your customers. Many thanks

Have exactly the same problem here after the upgrade. This morning my battery went from 100% to 33% in 2 hours. IMS Framework was reported as by far the largest user of battery power :Sad_face:

I think this (from the other thread) may have fixed the issue for me....

Untick

Settings->Connections-> More Networks-> Rich Communications

Then reboot the phone.

ss74
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I've got the same battery issues with both mine and my wife's phones since the update.  Additionally I've had my phone reboot itself 3 times since the upgrade a few days ago, once half way through a call.

Seriously bad update!

I have had the same issues on the my S5 i have had no help from Vodafone infact there refusing to do anything other then send this in for repair.

Were as samsung are fully aware of this and have booked a slot for them to dial into my phone to take a snap shot or somthing he said of what is going on, then they will give me a code to roll back the phone using Kies

On the S5 section we have even had posts moved and messed around with

which is very childish this can only be a staff member doing this

what is more insulting is the lack of info from Vodafone as to what has happend

acording to Samsung when i asked after my device is rolled back will i get the update again he said

"OH no way " was this ever checked as it says they are supposed to do

I have no faith in Vodafone any more

Ellis_VF

Hi Everybody

As you may have noticed, we have merged a number of threads surrounding RCS together into one thread per device. This has been done so all the conversations can be done in one place rather than in several different threads. This means we are making sure that we can monitor the posts easier and when we respond we are doing so to everybody on the one device.

Please note that this thread is for discussion for RCS on the Samsung Galaxy S4 device only. If you wish to discuss the matter on another device please go to the relevant thread. If there are posts about different devices made on here, then the moderators will move them to the proper threads.

Thank you.

Hi Ellis,

Thanks for explaining why extra posts have appeared etc. However, your post is marked as a solution for this thread, which it clearly is not. The thread is/was about the Rich Communications update causing excessive battery drain. I have posted that disabling this feature and using a non-default messaging app reduces the impact, but this is only a workaround and not a true solution either.  Can you please remove the "Answer" tag from your post, so people don't get confused/annoyed?

Regards

Matt

You've merged the threads?  ANy chance you could undo this nonsense update you put out?  You guys heard of Whatsapp?   Typical Vodafone breaking somethign that didn't need fixing.

danba
4: Newbie
The Play store has the Vodafone Message + app. I tried it and just didn't like it so off it came. I needed to wipe my S4 anyway as I had installed several updates and hadn't done so in quite a while. Full reset done and I have unchecked the Rich Communication option under Networks. I'm not seeing the IMS framework in my battery use stats at all. That process was draining the battery extremely fast before I did the reset.

My battery is fairly rubbish anyway but before I did the reset it drained to about 30% overnight in airplane mode from a full charge at bedtime. Yikes. 😮 Things back to what they were before the update. Still need to carry a charger around 😊

Don't forget folks......if you use the new emoji's instead of the standard green Android one's you will probably be charged for an MMS instead of an SMS.

I suspect Vodafone are hoping we'll all make that mistake.....mmmmm money, money, money.