Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Rich Communications Suite - Samsung Galaxy S4

danba
4: Newbie

Just got a prompt last night for an update of 155mb.  Haven't noticed much yet other then the messaging app has got an upgrade and now adding emoji doesn't convert a text message to MMS. There's a Rich Communications option under Network which is related to the sms app.

Baseband version: I9505XXUGNH7

Anyone else got this? :cathappy:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ellis_VF
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Everybody

As you may have noticed, we have merged a number of threads surrounding RCS together into one thread per device. This has been done so all the conversations can be done in one place rather than in several different threads. This means we are making sure that we can monitor the posts easier and when we respond we are doing so to everybody on the one device.

Please note that this thread is for discussion for RCS on the Samsung Galaxy S4 device only. If you wish to discuss the matter on another device please go to the relevant thread. If there are posts about different devices made on here, then the moderators will move them to the proper threads.

Thank you.

View solution in original position

166 REPLIES 166

Sophes
Hi Markshaf
Mine says it's Android OS. IMS framework is not on there as I don't RCS..

heatherburke
Me too Sophes. Are you running I9505XXUGNG8?

Usually a hot phone and draining battery is down to a rogue app. Look at your battery stats, look at the apps that are syncing and remove any that you don't need/are not sure about. Reboot your phone and see if that helps.

Sometimes a hot phone can also signify that you are in a marginal signal area and the phone is working overtime to acquire a signal.

Sophes
Heatherburke, the exact same...
Jpwjpw, I have disabled/removed all apps I don't use. Seems better but have had high usage since so need to give it a day or 2 and see what happens.

cs02mf
2: Seeker

I've had the exact same problem. A Galaxy S4 which was working fine until 4.4.3 update and the new RCS software. Now my battery drains in 6 hours and the IMS Framework is using 45% of the power.

I phoned Vodafone who fobbed me off with doing a firmware update which didn't fix it. Then they sent me to Samsung even though I told them it seemed to be caused by the Vodafone messenger service. Samsumg told me to do a factory reset which took hours and then I've spent 3 hours setting up all my apps as I had them (the guy said everything would return to the way it was - it didn't).

I've taken the advice above and tried turning of RCS. I'll let you know if it works after I've recharged my phone (again).

I think Vodafone have been shockingly bad at handling a problem that was their own making. I shouldn't have to waste hours of my time because they decided to force some software on me.

</RANT>

supersons
I'm having the same problem as all the others. Very heavy battery usage due to IMS framework.

I am using software 4.4.2 and started having the problems early September. I was able to sort by clearing cache, rebooting and disabling RCS. However 2 days ago the problem re-emerged. Has anyone at Vodafone Tech team got a solution to this?

I am considering taking my handset to the Vodafone shop as i cannot put up with my phone in its current state. If i do this will shop staff be able to sort this for me?

An update on my previous comment. Having diasbled RCS my battery life has improved a lot. I can now get through a full day, I'm not sure if its as good as it was, but that could just be my perception.

I wander, what's the point of vodafone having a forum if they don't provide any constructive help when a load of people are having an issue with their crappy software update? My contracts up soon, could be time to change.

Matt

ps0898

Hi,

Since installing the new rich messaging app the IMS framework is destroying my battery life - I get 6-7hrs now, where i used to get 2 days. The phone is also runing really hot to the touch.  See attached screenshot file for battery usage - this is ridiculous, and seems not to be an isolated issue. When will this be rectified? Really useless update from Vodafone.

Thanks

froggerty
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Uninstall the App returning the phone to the state it was before you downloaded it. If it's a 'useless Vodafone update' get rid of it and see if your battery behaves then.