Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Ring duration on Galaxy S6 edge plus

wingco1
4: Newbie

The code **61*121*11(or 10)*30# doesn't work for me. I get a message, "Call forwarding Connection problem or invalid MMI" My phone connects fine so has the MMI changed? I have turned my voicemail off but want to increase the ring duration.

28 REPLIES 28

hrym
17: Community Champion

If I'm right about a system issue, it sounds as though whatever's fundamentally wrong hasn't been fixed.  The Forum Team should pick the thread up again in due course and you can progress from there.

All I want is a longer ring duration, the longer the better. The tech support lady did say that some newer phones such as Galaxy S6, S7 iPhone 6 and later do have problems using the MMI codes.

hrym

@wingco1 wrote:

All I want is a longer ring duration, the longer the better. The tech support lady did say that some newer phones such as Galaxy S6, S7 iPhone 6 and later do have problems using the MMI codes.

That shouldn't be impossible.   I hadn't heard about the potential MMI issue, which is a bit of a pain if it's true.

It's possible that Tech Support cancelled your voicemail, but didn't do anything else.   Since the code for ring duration merely issues a request to the backend system, it ought to be possible for this to be done at system level.   I'd suggest putting in another request, though I'm still suspicious that the frontline CS people have a way to do it and it's failing.   That suggests a deeper problem.

If I'm right that ring duration is a system thing, could you put your SIM in another phone and make the change from that?

I don't have another suitable phone. I've submitted another email requesting the change be made by Tech Support.

Thanks for all your input it's very much appreciated. It will be interesting to see what happens now.

Tech Support rang. Their version of events.

"Thanks for your time over the call.

I rang again and the ring went on for more than 2 minutes. We can increase the voicemail duration and not ring tone duration.

If still issue persists, I request you to please visit the nearest Vodafone store so that they can check the handset physically and assist you further." I won't name the Customer Service Agent.

Actual events. I was told to ring off and not answer any calls from the displayed number. I received thirteen calls in quick succession all logged by my phone, all rang for 15 secs. I have rang my number from my land line it rang for 15 seconds.

Obviously there is a problem. Tech Support are unable to find the root cause.

hrym

I think this may be a ringtone issue, rather than anything else.  Some ringtones continue for a fixed time and then stop.  This wouldn't be adjustable at network level and may be what Tech Support mean when they say "We can increase the voicemail duration and not ring tone duration".

Try another ringtone and see if that fixes the problem.   The classic telephone bell is usually a continuous one (doesn't stop until you answer or the caller or network dops the call), though ringtones vary from one manufacturer/handset to another, so you may need to experiment a bit.

Tech Support (or the MMI code if it worked) can only change the time before the call is diverted to voicemail.  If that's turned off, the divert time is irrelevant (and that's why I think this may be a ringtone issue) as the call will never divert.

This thread has got quite long and I can't remember is you were ever advised to use 1210 to turn voicemail off (1211 to turn it on again)?   This interacts with the Vodafone system and isn't an MMI code.

Just to confirm all the ringtones available to me on this phone last for over 15 seconds. That would suggest it's not a phone problem. The ringtone I am using plays for 28 seconds before stopping when played from the Settings>Sound and Vibrations>Ringtone folder. So my request to set at 25 Secs should have been fine.

Thank you very much for your input it's been very helpfull. I'll have to make do.

hrym

It's weird.   If voicemail is turned off, then the phone should simply continue to ring.   The MMI code you tried at the beginning only adjusts the time-to-divert when voicemail is on.   If calls go to VM and you haven't set it up, there should be a generic answer ("This is the voicemail service for [number]" etc).   If your callers aren't getting this, it should mean that VM is off and the ring length at network level therefore irrelevant.

Are you able to try your SIM in another phone?   If the same thing happens, it would definitely point to an account issue, though I'm at a bit of a loss to see how or why :smileysad:  If it doesn't, it's something else.   A Vodafone shop might be able to help you with all of this.

Did I also suggest using the MMI code with your SIM in another phone?  (Though, as I say, I don't think this setting should be relevant in the present circumstances).

Final update. Tried my SIM in a Galaxy A5. Ring duration was 15 seconds. So it isn't a problem just with my handset.