Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Rooting, warranty and pre-installed apps

Wossi
6: Helper
6: Helper

I got the One M8 yesterday and so far I'm really liking it. A bit of an upgrade from my Galaxy Nexus.

The only major gripe I have is the pre-installed apps that you cannot uninstall. As far as I can see the only way to get rid of them is to root the phone and either use Titanium backup to delete them or put another rom on there.

I have no problem with rooting the phone as all my previous phones were rooted, but I'm hesitant with this one as I don't fancy having an invalidated warranty due to both HTC and Vodafone making so there are apps taking up space on the phone that you can't get rid of.

So, if I root my phone will I lose the 24 month warranty that comes with it?

72 REPLIES 72

TimGriff6
13: Advanced Member

Jeff

You said 'As long as it doesn't interfere with the operation of the phone so what?'

If you have a look at the length and content of the RCS thread you will see that you have given exactly the reason why people are considering rooting.  Remember that they will have bought a phone that offered the performance they wanted and are committed to a contract length that may have close to 2 years to run.

It's a bit like buying a BMW and, at the first service, having knobbly tyres fitted by the manufacturer with locking wheel nuts that only they have the key to.  The car now handles like rubbish, the tyres rub on the bodywork and it won't get above 60 on the motorway.  But, says the manufacturer, you get great grip driving across the desert don't you?  With no desert in Milton Keynes, that is not a great selling point but then someone on a forum says, 'well if you want to drive round Milton Keynes where the roads are flat, why don't you get a smart car?'

You'd probably answer the same way as people on this thread - where can I get a locking wheel key so I can put my choice of tyres back on the car?

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
Tim, I've already made it clear that the implementation of RCS is a disaster and should not have happened. Paul, when I need advice on how to post I'll ask for it. Until then I suggest you stop playing lawyer, stop seeing the world in black and white, stop giving our fellow customers advice that could cost them a lot of money and stop assuming you know what I know and don't know.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

They are not your customers.  Please again be factual and supply links as you are wrong and misinformed.  How do you know I am playing lawyer.  You seem to assume alot and are certainly wrong as this occasion.  Do Voda pay you as you are the sort of person that will destroy android and what it stands for.  Sorry but you are a customer the same as me.  Please try and learn you may be wrong alas you clearly are here.  No links or evidence to backup your claim.  So you stop spreading incorrect and scaremongering gossip.  POST YOUR PROOF PUT UP OR SHUT UP.  alas I am afraid you will just answer with nothing to substantiate your ill mid informed claim UNBELIEVABLE. I don't dispute you know how to post the hours you obviously spend on here.  But it does not make you correct does it.  As you are all talk and no proof.  As you just will not post anything that says your warranty will be voided if you root.  I AWAIT YOUR LINKS :smileyvery-happy:

PS Stop assuming statement is funny mind read your post again

Have you been in contact from any VODA law Bods. We now have a statement from them that blows you out the water I will post it on here Tuesday.  That should settle it. even though you can not show me where it says your full whole complete warranty is void if rooted.  

I don't want a Nexus because the last time I checked, it did not have dual sim functionality. The point about pre-installed apps is that they use up space that could otherwise be better utilised in making the phone run better and crucially, they run processes in the background that eat into data whether or not you actually use them. My £50 Smart 4 Mini has no less than 18 apps that I don't need, some of which I have no clue what they do. If I don't know what an app does, what is the point of pre-installing it. Further, many of the pre-installed apps have counterparts in the app stores which function much better and were I have not been able to remove the default app, I have replaced it with an aftermarket one. Lastly the phone is MINE bought and paid for outright, so why should the manufacturer, system developer and network operator prevent me from using it to optimum efficiency. I am tied of corporations giving me things they think I ought to have because some hipster has decided it's 'cool' or 'edgy'. I can think and decide for myself and follow no-one.

jeffkinn
Your post is an arrogant disgrace and will be ignored.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

As I say proof of your statements please.  Sorry if you feel that way.  But you do seem to be unable to post anything that would give credance to your statement.  I don't mind being wrong if you can supply me with factual evidence.  All you statements are your views as I see it.  If that was not the case I am sure you would have posted your proof but alas your post are contradictory and with no substance.  Sorry if you feel I am arrogant for pointing out you maybe wrong.  Deal with it 

GojuSuzi
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member
To be honest, it's the same as using off-brand chargers and the like: if you keep your mouth shut and remove any evidence (ie factory reset the phone before sending for repair), then unless the fault is obviously the result of a rooting or app/function that would not have been possible without root access, then you're covered. However, that's not good enough a reason to 'recommend' folks install custom ROMs, especially since those capable enough to a) not brick it in the process, b) use it in 'admin mode' without significant increased risk, and c) do so silently and just as silently un-do it if a repair is needed, tend to already do so; essentially, anyone who needs to be advised that they can root is pretty likely to void the warranty in the process and so should not be advised to root for that reason.

The only advise should be: if you know what you're doing, you're already going to be doing it, and if you don't know what you're doing, then do not make it easier to wreck your phone by pretending you do.

Hi Yes i fully agree with you. I am merley pointing out to those that are unaware that by law it does not void your whole warranty. The root process is now fairly simple but i would not advise anybody to do it who does not understand the process.

jeffkinn
Unless you are able to demonstrate that all the networks have changed their policy that rooting does void the warranty, or you are prepared to fund court cases that result from people taking your advice, the correct information is that rooting will result in Vodafone telling customers that their warranty no longer exists.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

I dont need to chap. They can say what they like. But they dont say the whole warranty is void do they. Again Post please to confirm your statement. You can state anything it does not make it law or enforceable. AGAIN PLEASE POST WHERE IT SAYS YOU WHOLE WARRANTY IS VOID. May i also say we have now had it confirmed that this is not the case in the UK.  So i am sorry but again you talk the talk but can not give us any solid proof this is the case. I am still waiting for you to show me thats all i ask. Should be a very simple task if all networks and manufactures are the same as you claim . I will now wait for you to post some ground breaking evidence not just a genralised statement as you keep doing :smileytongue: