Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

S5 connectivity issues

dave3005
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi,

Is anyone else having connectivity issues on their galaxy S5, i've been having them since day one and gave up with the constant troubleshooting and repetive sugegstions about 6months ago but am getting annoyed by it again now and determined to finally get my phone functioning as it should!

I already completed the network troubleshooting questions previously before i get asked again. and the issue seems to be with maintaining a stable connection. My signal checker says i should get network at my work and girlfriends but it either never has signal or when it does it seems to keep swapping between network towers and getting H H+ 4G (if i leave enabled) and then loosing connection as it swaps. Wonder if there is anyway to stop it trying to swap network so quickly incase this is problem (forced 2g is too slow to test (0.1Mbps down 0.01 up, and 3G keeps swapping between H and H+ and back again, which is when i usually loose connection for a while), 4G seems good but as i only get 1 bar it looses it quickly and again i loose connections. FYI when i am on H or H+ i usually have 3-4bars so not sure why it swaps so much and connection so patchy. HELP PLEASE!

Any help or new suggestions would be nice, i have even upgraded to latest andorid updates OTA since last troubleshooting problems and issues persist, and also factory reset it as knew i be asked to and same problems. Tried checking APN settings and refreshing these and no luck.

EDIT:

Since starting this thread,

-I have done all the troubleshooting again multiple times,

-Tried a new SIM card

-Sent my phone for repair (no problems found)

-Factory reset phone multiple times and ensured on latest firmware

-Contacted vodafone multiple times who "investigating areas" but never find a problem apparently or claim they recently fixed issues in areas dispite me tellign them there is still a problem.

23 REPLIES 23

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

Phones are set up to auto search out the strongest signal available and will also switch cell towers as you commute. 

You can as you know turn off 3G etc to force the phone to 2G to help stabilise call quality but data speeds then suffer. 

Is the phone unlocked to all networks. I ask as I would suggest trying another networks sim as a process of elimination to rule out the phone or SIM card. 

If another networks sim shows the same issues then I would approach the manufacturer as they apply a 24 month warranty on their phones and in my opinion know their hardware and software better. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply- as i was at work i decided to try a work sim on EE with it and to my surprise it actually was maintaining a stable connection (however was still doing the same swapping between H and H+, even more than with vodafone if possible but didnt appear to loose connection once when it was swapping between them as it does with my vodafone SIM)

Could have sworn i checked this months ago, but maybe i never got round to trying another SIM/network.

So how do i now go about getting a replacement SIM to test this- presume i need to call vodafone and my current SIM will have to be cancelled while they send a replacement?

63johnw
The quickest way is to go in store and they can swap it for you there and then.

Ok thanks, that sounds quicker and easier. I'll give it a go tomorrow and let you know if this solves my issues *fingers crossed*!

63johnw
Good luck.

Just an update, I got a replacement SIM on friday to see if this resolved ongoing issues and am not entirely convinced.

There are times when it seems better, and even though i loose connectivity for a while it usually reconnects again on its own. But it is still loosing connection intermittently especially at work. I will keep monitoring this throughout the week though and let you know if it is still an ongoing issue.

any other suggestions? As if the EE SIM works ok and a replacement Vodafone one does not, surley it means its a vodafone issue rather than a SIM/phone issue?

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

@dave3005

If the issue is network related following the troubleshooting guide will resolve this.I appreciate you've done this previously so if your problem persists, our Network team will take a look at this for you. To help them, please post Step 6 of the link to our Network eForum thread and we’ll be in touch.

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? multiple but one particuarly bad.

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs?

DA7 6HZ (patchy intermittent internet connection despite often having 3-4bars) and DA1 4PG (generally terrible connection but occasionally upto 3 bars)

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

No other unlocked phone, but tried replacement SIM and same issue and another network SIM in my phone works fine.

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

Internet connection hangs/lost for around 30secs or so until it decides to reconnect/change masts or swap between H H+ 4G and then it repeats issue again shortly after.

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

All (less so on 4G but this is poor reception in these areas and lost quickly)

I have noticed most of the time it is on H when this happens but H+ occasionally looses too.

6) When did you first notice this issue?

When i brought the phone/took out contract with vodafone.

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

Internmittent - will get good connection for a while and then quickly loose it and later reconnect. when at DA7 seems worst for this, faulty mast?