Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

S7 4G and HSDPA+ only?

Sheephelmet
7: Helper
7: Helper

I recently upgraded from my S5 to a new S7 and the phone is very good. However, no matter where I am geographically, if I am not picking up 4G or HSDPA+ then no other data network connects to the net. Previously on the S5, GPRS, HSDPA, HSDPA+ and 4G all gave me a connection, EDGE was always a waste of time and didnt work at all, but I got used to that. Now though, HSDPA gives me nothing and says I am not connected to the network and anything other than HSDPA+ or 4G does the same. Is the S7 antenna only geared for HSDPA+ and 4G or is there an issue with the phone?

9 REPLIES 9

hrym
17: Community Champion

In the first instance, go into the main Settings menu and then Wireless and Networks, then Mobile Networks and you should see an entry for Preferred Network Type.   Make sure this is set to 4G/3G/2G (or Automatic) - it sounds as though yours may be limited to 3G only.   The exact route and headings may be different to this (which is from a Sony device), but it'll be similar.

EDGE is an enhanced protocol for 2G and is too slow for most practical purposes these days, with much richer content.   Most apps time out on it, but it can still be used for email and some quick look-ups.

If it's not that, take your SIM out and replace it.   This should force an APN update, which may also help.

Settings checked and I am on 4G/3G/2G/auto connect already.

I changed the APN settings yesterday to be as per the vodafone settings page on the website. It doesnt matter whether I use the APN settings sent in the configuration messages or the slightly different one from the website, I get no data net connection unless I have HSDPA+ or 4G.

hrym

Does this happen everywhere or only in one location?

Everywhere. I have two houses in seperate (173 miles apart) locations and it happens at both. It also happens at work, which is wierd as we have a vodafone 4G network pumped throughout the site and when I go out of range of one of the repeaters, I get H+ all fine, then when it drops to H, nothing and I generally have to flick on airplane mode and then back off again to get the phone to renegotiate the 4G connection when I get back into the office.

Its not just me either, my wife has a brand new S7 edge and it is the same for her at all the locations she visits.

hrym

This seems odd.   If you can drop into a Vodafone shop, they might be able to have a look at it for you.  It'll depend on the technical expertise of who's there, so don't make a special trip.   It's just possible it's something that's obvious if you have the device in your hand.  Or you could try Carphone Warehouse's Geek Squad.   I've heard good reports of them.

I will do that at the weekend when I am home. My wife had issues with her sim card when she first got it and it wouldnt register on a network. Had it replaced and it was all good from there, but we have both noticed this issue with our phones, so I will get it checked out at the shop. Thanks for the replies.

Just as an aside, I am sat under a 4G vodafone repeater this morning in the office and my work Blackberry (horrible thing it is!) is showing 4G on vodafone, my S7 is showing H :Sad_face:

Hi @Sheephelmet

Please let us know how you get on in store.

This does sound very odd indeed.

Thanks,

Viki