Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

S7 Edge - garbled/alien voice - Nougat

slaphead
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi there,

I've been with Vodafone (via Carphone Warehouse) for about 6 weeks. I have an issue when I make voice calls in that, more often than not, in under a minute the call becomes garbled - the other person can't hear me, and I can't hear them. Alien-like is how I've seen it described elsewhere.

Now, I've rang Vodafone. Tried removing the SIM and puttiing it back in. Doesn't change a single thing. This problem is driving me insane!

Googling around and come across two others experiencing the same problem:

1: http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly/Problems-with-a-new-S7-Edge/td-p/2555741

2: https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/787746-scrambled-alien-noises-during-voice-call-call-...

Both have exactly the same symptoms. However, both also state 3 other common factors:

1. All using an S7/Edge

2. All updated to Nougat

3. All Nottingham based (as I am)

This can't be a coincidence, surely??? No reports of network issues around Nottingham (it's been happening over 3-4 weeks, maybe ever since I started my contract 6 weeks ago).

I feel like I'm going to be passed back and forth between Vodafone and Carphone Warehouse - has anybody else experienced this type of problem and, if so, was there a fix?

I've done a factory reset to see if that makes any difference (still running Nougat).

Many thanks,

Paul.

39 REPLIES 39

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi.

A recent post said they sounded like being under water. 

Sometimes screen shields or poorly fitting cases can cause issues. 

Call clarity can be affected by network signal to which turning off 3g and 4g to force 2g is known to help. 

I think the person who bought their phone through Cpw ended up taking it back and had it swapped out but the same happened even after a sim swap so they eventually took it back and cancelled under Cpw 14 days cooling off period. 

I use a Samsung Galaxy s7 edge on Nougat on payg without issues but I'm not in your area. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for your quick reply. I think the guy you're referring to is one of the ones in Nottingham (in the link above). I'm using a plain Spigen case (nothing fancy) and a wet applied screen protector so hopefully nothing that will interfere with the call!

Strangely, if I hang up and make the call again all seems fine (although it has happened on a second call too).

BandOfBrothers

You're welcome. 

Regarding the shield. Can you take a close peek at it to ensure its not hindering anything. I also note you mention it is a wet applied version. Was this a spray or sachet. Even though the phone is ip68 certified this does not guarantee fluid couldn't enter and affect the phone. 

Have you tried forcing the phone onto 2g ?

Also just as a process of elimination can you try your sim in another phone and make a call and also try another sim card in your phone and make a call. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I've tried forcing the phone on to 2g/3g- still happened. I'll try going down the 2g only route, definitely. I just need to see if the factory reset has any bearing on this at all.

The shield isn't covering anything is shouldn't. I agree about the wet applied part - but it almost seems too predictable for the moisture to cause the issue, i.e. less than a minute before it goes garbled, seems okay the second time around.

And as soon as I've ruled in/out factory reset I'll try a different phone. Thanks.

I had a trusty Z3 on Three before this and never had a single issue! In fact, Three's coverage was incredible in remote areas.

Becca_P
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@slaphead

We're sorry to hear your experiencing problems when making calls on your phone.

If it's still not working after trying the factory reset, please let us know and we'll be happy to assist you further.

Hi there,

Yes, it still happens, even after the factory reset. Just tried to make a call and the first three attempts went garbled then disconnected. The first call, I received, not made. However, the person I was calling was based in Nottingham, NG5, also on Vodafone. In my opinion, this seems NG5 as a live in this postcode and I can't remember the issue happening when both parties weren't in this area.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Becca_P
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@slaphead

This is very strange.

Have you completed our network troubleshooting guide? This may provide you with any answers regarding the signal status in your area. 

Once you've completed the template on step six of the guide, a member of the Network team will be in touch to assist you further with this.

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member

Hi slaphead (great username by the way🤣)

Strange coincidence I experienced the same thing today whilst on a call today the garbled voice but as it was the first time it happened I put it down to a bad line 

I have recently installed nougat but i am in the Lancashire area but I can't see it being a regional problem (although i admit I'm only just getting my head around all this)

Hopefully mine was just a one off but still worried that it showed the same symptoms 

Just to add I have no screen protector and use a UAG that fits perfectly 

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member

Hi slaphead (great username btw 🤣)

I have experienced similar things on calls a few times one of them was whilst using speaker phone.

But the other's were using the phone normally.

I had one call were they could not here me.

I put all these down to a bad line 

I don't use a screen protector and use a UAG case on my s7 edge and I am in Lancashire area and recently installed nougat by ota