Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

S7 Edge - garbled/alien voice - Nougat

slaphead
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi there,

I've been with Vodafone (via Carphone Warehouse) for about 6 weeks. I have an issue when I make voice calls in that, more often than not, in under a minute the call becomes garbled - the other person can't hear me, and I can't hear them. Alien-like is how I've seen it described elsewhere.

Now, I've rang Vodafone. Tried removing the SIM and puttiing it back in. Doesn't change a single thing. This problem is driving me insane!

Googling around and come across two others experiencing the same problem:

1: http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly/Problems-with-a-new-S7-Edge/td-p/2555741

2: https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/787746-scrambled-alien-noises-during-voice-call-call-...

Both have exactly the same symptoms. However, both also state 3 other common factors:

1. All using an S7/Edge

2. All updated to Nougat

3. All Nottingham based (as I am)

This can't be a coincidence, surely??? No reports of network issues around Nottingham (it's been happening over 3-4 weeks, maybe ever since I started my contract 6 weeks ago).

I feel like I'm going to be passed back and forth between Vodafone and Carphone Warehouse - has anybody else experienced this type of problem and, if so, was there a fix?

I've done a factory reset to see if that makes any difference (still running Nougat).

Many thanks,

Paul.

39 REPLIES 39

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member

Just to add I use 3g only as in my area only get one bar of 4g if im lucky which eats my battery alive.

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@slaphead I've checked your local serving sites and can't see any issues related to the network within the area which you've provided on your other thread

Have you had a chance to force the device down to 2G yet? 

Please let us know if you're still having issues with this. :smileyhappy:

Unfortunately, putting my phone into 2G isn't an option on an S7 running Nougat. I've tried the dialing to code to force it (*#*#4636#*#*) but that doesn't seem to work either. This will apply to my wife's phone as well.

I've yet to contact CPW about this issue.

My partner and I are having the exact same issue that only started 3-4 weeks ago and only seems to affect the call quality when we're in the Nottingham area. Tried everything already suggested so we're trying CPW this weekend to see if they have a solution. Fingers crossed there's a fix.

Thanks for your reply, @Missd_moore. I'll be interested to see what CPW have to say about it. There must be more than 4 people using Vodafone in the Nottingham area! :smileyfrustrated:

ChazzD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@slaphead @Missd_moore

Please speak with our Live Chat team so they can have a look into these issues further for you. 

This is the exact same problem I have and has been happening since the middle of March. Believe me, no-one seems to be acknowledging the problem.

My phone is the S7 (not the Edge) - it was purchased through carphone warehouse in London. Since the update to Nougat, I have failed 95% of calls due to this problem. I have tried everything fix online and I have been through both Vodafone and Samsung support (online and over the phone).

My phone was sent away to Geek Squad (CPW) and then to Samsung - neither reported a problem with the phone itself. However, I am able to use the SIM fine in an older HTC phone - so it's not the SIM either. I'm in NG5 too, so the issue seems very localised! However, the noise occurs whether I make or take the call, or whether I'm calling in or out of NG5.

The only person who seems to understand the issue is the woman in the Vodafone Shop in the Victoria Centre. She said it was a recognised issue, and gave me a solution, but when I got home it didn't actually work (Samsung Kies to take it back to the older version). But strangely, no-one at Samsung seems to acknowledge this... 

ps. Just noticed that the second link in the OP is actually my posting too! (I never went back to update it as I had no update...)
This problem is unbelievably frustrating. I returned to CPW today and the guy just looked at me like I was lying even though I recorded the noise on my working phone to show them...

Many thanks for your reply!

Yeah, I fear that I'm going on a wild goose chase here. I've not been back to CPW yet as I know what their response will be (as you've described). I don't think I've experienced the problem anywhere other than either making a call to my wife who's on Vodafone, running Nougat, using an S7, when she's located in NG5, or I've been in NG5. At the end of last week, I was in NG11 and made a call to her. It lasted 37 minutes before the problem occurred. We've also missed texts from each other when we've both been in NG5.

At the moment, the combination of NG5, S7, Nougat on Vodafone just doesn't seem fit for purpose! The advise of using Live Chat is pointless - that's what drove me to these forums in the first place.

Vodafone, please offer some decent advise as, so far, I'm 100% regretting moving to your network.

Same with my and my wife's S7 edge. Both on Vodafone contract. We live in NG8 area. After 7.0 update we struggling to make phone calls, cause crazy sounds appears during calls, like underwater. Its around 3-4 weeks now and still no solution!!!! Very disappointed of Vodafone.